Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Okay, so can someone explain this to me? For some reason OS X got screwed. And I mean screwed big time. I had to reformat and reinstall it to get it working again.

So happens that this Macbook is what I used to sync my iPhone with. Now, all the apps are gone, of course. So why can't you resync all the apps back to the same laptop under the same credentials as before? Doesn't iTunes recognize the computer is the same exact one and treat it the same? How do I get all my apps back to my laptop?

I got all the music transferred using a different app. But in God's name, what do I do now?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Re-authorize the MacBook with your iTunes account, connect your iPhone, right click the iPhone as it appears in the sidebar (under "Devices") and select "Transfer Purchases." This will transfer all media (apps and audio) purchased from iTunes from your iPhone to your MacBook.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Sounds like you already synced and lost all your apps on the phone. If thats the case then you're going to have to go and download every app again, as Apple doesn't make an easy way to get all the apps back.

IF they're still on your phone, then hook it up, right click and hit "Transfer apps"

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Re-authorize the MacBook with your iTunes account, connect your iPhone, right click the iPhone as it appears in the sidebar (under "Devices") and select "Transfer Purchases." This will transfer all media (apps and audio) purchased from iTunes from your iPhone to your MacBook.

Holy crap, you SIR are THE man! Thanks!:)

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Well, most of my docs and stuff I keep copies of on my Windows laptop. I have no other way to back up my apps. I used a pay program to transfer the songs back to my Mac, but that's about it. The rest of the stuff I just download again.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
You're welcome. :) It's also worth noting that apps can be re-downloaded from the App Store without any additional costs, just in case.

yeah that is how I got the 5.99 medomi for free.
I downloaded the free one a year ago and deleted it.
I was surprised when I went to download it for 5.99 and it said since I purchased it before, its no cost to redownload is again

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
well, if you havnt used bootcamp yet, in theory, this could work, most likely it will. go to boot camp assistant, make a partition about 30% of your hold hard drive. now, go to disk utility, go to bootcamp on the sidebar, under the erase tab, format it as mac os extended (journaled). click erase. this will not harm anything except whats on the bootcamp partition, which is nothing. now go to time machine, select ur backup disk, choose the bootcamp partition, let it back up on there, and there u go, u will never lose your time machine backup! yay! now if ur mac crashes, you'll have all your uninfected, or uncorrupted stuff on another partition, so just insert the mac os x installation cd, go to utilities > restore from a backup, and select bootcamp.

WARNING! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUT WINDOWS ON HERE IF YOU DO THIS, UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE WIPING YOUR HARD DRIVE, WHICH WILL ERASE YOUR TIME MACHINE BACKUP, AND YOUR ORIGINAL INFORMATION, MEANING YOU WILL HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH!

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
well, if you havnt used bootcamp yet, in theory, this could work, most likely it will. go to boot camp assistant, make a partition about 30% of your hold hard drive. now, go to disk utility, go to bootcamp on the sidebar, under the erase tab, format it as mac os extended (journaled). click erase. this will not harm anything except whats on the bootcamp partition, which is nothing. now go to time machine, select ur backup disk, choose the bootcamp partition, let it back up on there, and there u go, u will never lose your time machine backup! yay! now if ur mac crashes, you'll have all your uninfected, or uncorrupted stuff on another partition, so just insert the mac os x installation cd, go to utilities > restore from a backup, and select bootcamp.

WARNING! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUT WINDOWS ON HERE IF YOU DO THIS, UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE WIPING YOUR HARD DRIVE, WHICH WILL ERASE YOUR TIME MACHINE BACKUP, AND YOUR ORIGINAL INFORMATION, MEANING YOU WILL HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH!

And if your HD dies, then you're screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.