reformatting a drive taking forever

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I am trying to reformat a WD 750gb had drive, and it is going SLOWWWWLY, it's been at about half way for 4 hours now, everything else on the computer is fine so I don't think its frozen, should I eject it and start all over again?

2. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I let it sit all night and it didn't finish so I don't know if its a bad hard drive. . .

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

What method of formatting did you select? Secure erase?

4. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I was trying mac os x extended (journal) with fastest as the security option

----------

WHen i try to rewrite it now it says "unable to write the last block of the drive" does that mean that I have a bad drive?

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Are you trying to format the internal from Disk Utility started from the running OS x installation? If so, most times the system will not allow you to format or repair a disk when it is run from the host installation. You may need to boot from another OS X instance (bootable disk or USB installation) and then go into DU and erase the disk.

6. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Found a couple of discussions on your error message:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210385
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3226425?start=0&tstart=0

I'm assuming this is an external drive plugged into your computer by USB or Firewire? One person claims it means the drive is bad and you can check the SMART status in Disk Utility. Other people from the Apple thread recommend the issue may be with Lion and to try running Disk Utility from the restore partition.

If you're not running Lion, guess it wouldn't hurt to try running Disk Utility from the install disk to format that drive, instead of from your computer.

7. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, I called customer service of the company from which I bought it, and they are going to give me a refund so i guess they feel its a bad drive too.