Reformatting a G4 iMac and installing Tiger....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DUSTmurph, Apr 12, 2010.

1. DUSTmurph macrumors regular

First off, i know this is a topic that was probably discussed quite a bit about 5 years ago, and I already searched MR forums with no luck, so I'm gonna go ahead and post. :D

My goal is to revive my struggling iMac G4 (800MHz, 512 MB ram, 10.3.9 Panther) so I can use it again or give it to a friend. Everything is extremely slow, and applications are constantly crashing. It was originally loaded with 10.2 Jaguar, but I installed Panther years ago.

I recently got my hands on Tiger, but when I try to install it, the loading bar doesn't get an eighth of the way before it stops and gives me an error message. The hard drive is loaded with about 50 gigs of useless stuff that my family has downloaded over the years, mostly small strange files. So my theory is that maybe after reformatting the hard drive, I might be able to get it to install.

So finally to my questions.

What would I need to do to reformat? Would I use the original install disks? Would I need my Panther disks as well? Is there any tips or advice that you have that could possibly help, even if it isn't related to reformatting?

If you need any further info, just ask and I'll post it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What is the error message? Is the version of Tiger a retail version (black discs)?

3. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

I can't remember what exactly the error message says, but it basicly said "cannot perform installation" and didn't give any detailed information. And the Tiger disk looks like an official copy as far as i can tell.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The reason I asked about the discs is because the retail version of Tiger (black discs) is PowerPC only. The gray Tiger discs that are included with Macs are specific to the particular Mac and in the case of Tiger are Intel only.

How full is the hard drive? Does the iMac boot from the Tiger DVD? Have you used Disk Utility to Verify Disk on the iMac? Have you used Disk Utility to Repair Permissions on the iMac?

5. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

Yes they are the black retail disk. Theres about 20 free gigs on the hard drive so its not totally full. I did recently verified the disk and repaired permissions (which took about 6 hours :eek:). But I never tried booting from the Tiger DVD. I'm going to have to try that tomorrow morning.

Anyways, whereabouts in Michigan are you from? I live in the Detroit area myself. and thanks for the help BTW

6. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Lucky you! I really miss my 17" 1Ghz iMac G4, the screen quality was amazing.

Just like the other poster said, put in your OSX install dvd, shut the computer down and while booting it back up, press and hold the C button until you see the apple logo, one you get into the installer, open disk utility and format your hard drive. After that you are home free and can install Tiger using your discs.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you didn't boot from the Tiger DVD to install Tiger how were you trying to install it? Once you boot from the Tiger DVD you should be able to format the hard drive and do a clean install (or you could upgrade from Panther using the Archive and Install option).

I'm to your north in the Tri-Cities area.

8. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

I thought i just put the disk in and clicked install and it started doing its thing. To be honest I haven't tried in several months so i cant really remember exactly how things went. Tomorrow I'm going to give it another go.

9. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, didn't know how to do it. :)

And I really loved the iMac, thats why I'm so bent on reviving it.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

It's been a while since I've done an install/reinstall, but I think your initial thought on installing may also be correct. If I remember correctly, if you put the disc in and double click the installer it will reboot the Mac and startup from the DVD for the install. The way that Archon Gold posted will work for sure and with this method you can run Disk Utility from the DVD and do a Repair Disk on the internal hard drive to make sure it's in shipshape for the install.

Here's an Apple doc that explains what the different install options are and what each one does if you decide you don't want to nuke everything:

:apple: Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

11. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.