Reformatting After Failed Boot Camp Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaveBarbier, Mar 30, 2010.

1. DaveBarbier macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 320GB internal drive on my Intel Mac Mini. I tried to make a windows partition using Boot Camp. After I dragged the slider to select the partition size (100GB) and hit 'next' it didn't work. A message came up and basically said it failed. I don't remember what the message was exactly, something like "Verification failed. Some files could not be moved." But now, my Mini thinks it only has a 220GB drive. I open Disk Utility and I tried to reformat but it will only go to 220GB. It seems I lost the other 100GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

When using the BootCamp assistant, it is vital that you have everything closed, especially when creating such a large partition.

Are there two partitions on the disk?

3. DaveBarbier thread starter macrumors newbie

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What error are you getting when you try expand the volume to take the unclaimed space?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I don't know what error you are getting but try this:

1. Add a new partition, it should take over the unpartitioned space
    2. Format it HFS+
    3. In Terminal:
    Code:
    diskutil list
    That will give you a list of devices and partitions, and their corresponding device id.
    4. Get the device ids for the two paritions and follow this guide:
    Code:
    diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" NewName disk3s1 disk3s2

Replacing NewName, disk3s1 and disk3s2 with the values for your situation.

6. DaveBarbier thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I tried that already. When I show the list using diskutil list, it shows the drive but with only 220GB available. I think this would work if it correctly made the partition. But since it failed it doesn't show another partition with the rest of the missing space. I tried expanding the partition to over 220 but it says it's not possible. It will work if I set it to 219G but nothing over 220.

I have second guessed myself asking if this is really a 320 drive. This problem happened a few months ago so I keep going back to Amazon.com and looking to make sure the drive I ordered is actually 320, lol.