Reformatting and Reinstalling, Questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cyroceon, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I just got my MacBook last week and I love it. But 120GB isn't cutting it right now. I'm going to pick up the 320GB WD Passport HD today and I just want to know, is there anything I need to know about going about doing the reinstall. I mean, I have a Time Machine backup and everything, so I will definitely do that.

As far as I know the process would be: 1. Make Time Machine backup; 2. Take HD out; 3. Put new HD in, 4. Boot into Leopard install disk 1 by using option key at startup, 5. Install Leopard; 6. Connect "Time Machine" HD and restore everything. Are those steps correct? Not including restoring from the Time Machine HD, how long is the Leopard install? Thanks guys. Also, anything else I may need to know, I definitely would appreciate it.

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

That's one way to do it. You could also:

1.) Swap drives

2.) Install old drive in Passport case

3.) Boot from restore / OS DVD and do a clean install of OS X on the new drive

4.) Use Migration Assistant to move all of your data and apps over from the old drive to the new drive.

There are a number of different ways you could do it - I would just be sure to not nuke the old drive until you're sure everything is working on the new drive.

You'll love the space - it's amazing having so much space available on the MBP - almost better than a desktop machine....

MacDann

3. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Yep, I'm gonna get to go to 320 GB. Last two questions, 1. How long does Leopard install take? 2. Will my Boot Camp Windows partition be redone, or do I have to do it over?