Reformatting / Clean Install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DJAKO, Mar 12, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I've been using my MBP since I purchased it in Oct of 2006 (specs in sig). It's not as fast as it used to be and even after fixing permissions and running programs like OnyX it still slows up every now and then.

I'm looking to do a clean install and start over. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Losing my data is not an issue, I will back up what I need.

As far as iTunes goes, how would you guys recommend backing it up? I can pull over the entire folder to my external HD, but will I have to re add them all back after the install?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For iTunes, copy everything enmasse, then copy back. Then when you start up iTunes after the installation, make sure it points to the iTunes Library (if it was not/is not in the default location), then everything would be fine.

TEG

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd recommend trying to figure out why it's slowing down, if in fact it is, before trying the big cannon approach to problem solving.

4. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, I hear what you're saying. But there is probably a ton of stuff I'm not using anymore and pref files that I'd like to clean out. Sometimes doing a fresh install and starting over isn't too bad.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Mac makes that process easy. Just throw away anything you don't want.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Go for it. I do mine about once a year just because.

I did my G5 last night with leopard, and man what a difference

7. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you simply pop in the Leopard DVD and restart?

As for my iTunes Music and Movie collection, any suggestions on the best way to reimport it after I back it up prior to the format. Without losing any of the tags and info.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

READ!!!
    All tags are stored in the songs themselves, except for the ratings. Ratings, import dates, and last played are stored in the iTunes Library XML file. As long as your new installation of iTunes points to the XML file everything will be fine.

TEG

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just because what?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Some people just like to clear out all the gunk, preferences, temp files, and other things from their system, and find it much easier to just wipe the machine and start again. I usually do it every 18 months. The biggest reason is that I don't have time to mess with utilities an other apps to clean up my system (plus I have old preferences for programs that prevent me from using them sometimes), as they would take more than 20 hours to do, whereas I can back up and restore my system in less than 8.

TEG

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And I don't have the time to completely rebuilt my Mac the way I like it, nor can I risk losing anything. I spend almost no time with maintenance and absolutely none in reinstalls. What a headache that would be for nothing!

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I usually find that after do it, I find my system has regained a lot a speed that had been lost in the past.

TEG

13. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I will just make a list of the applications I use and redownload them. Move all my music to an external for the time being and any other files I absolutely need. Then boom, a fresh start.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly