Reformatting computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

If i reformat my comp all the stuff in my iTunes library will be gone, will syncing my iPhone add everything back to the library?

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Just go to your user folder > Music > iTunes. Copy the whole iTunes Folder onto an external HD if you have one. Once you reformat or do whatever just place that folder there when you are done and quit iTunes and reopen and all your playlists, info, playcount and everything that was there previously will still be there.

3. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have one, thats why i asked if iTunes will sync all my stuff from my iPhone to my iTunes library again.

4. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

No it doesn't work like that... Syncing is one way... I'd recommend getting an external to do backups so you don't lose your data.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well i kind of have a question about this subject to...sorta..ok its not related.but, my PC's Motherboard...is GONEE.....i dont mean stolen or anything, i mean it broke..can i take the hard drive out of the motherboard and put it in the new motherboard? im currently using a laptop

6. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

So wheres all my backup located? in my music/iTunes folder? Does that include everything(videos, ringtone, etc?)?

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

i think that all your backup is in My Music>iTunes

maybe the videos are in My Videos>iTunes just a suggestion? i dont have any videos or anythin but ringtones and music on my iTUnes

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

All of your data is on your C drive and for normal users they use My Music to store iTunes Library for a Windows user. So if you set it up that way then "YES" all of your iTunes, iPod Apps, Games, Music, Video and Movies are in the iTunes folder in My Music.

If you are using Outlook, then your Contacts and Calender events are stored in your Microsoft Applications Outlook folder...they are .pst files.

Your pictures are stored in My Pictures if you set it up that way.

If you are not backing up "My Documents" as a minimum on a daily or weekly basis then I feel sorry for the day you loose it all with a Hard Drive or other Hardware crash...IT WILL HAPPEN.

Purchase of a 500g external hard drive is very cheap now and will save you so much heartache and us another thread to answer on how to recover what can never be recovered.

EVERYONE...BACK UP YOUR COMPUTERS!!!

9. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

my iTunes folder in my music folder is only like 40MB and in my iPhone i have around 2.3GB of music and 1.8GB of movie, is this normal?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

umm...yes..open up iTunes, and see what the GB/MB crud it says on bottom when you go to Music under Library

11. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm saying the entire iTunes folder in my music folder is only 40MB. It doesn't correspond to the space that i used on my iPhone, is that normal?

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

no, it is not. that is weird.

anyways, if you ever find your music on your computer you could always rent an external hard drive from best buy but that's pretty unethical, right?

13. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502