Reformatting Drive Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shu15, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Shu15 macrumors regular

I need to put a clone of my internal disk onto a hard drive that is formatted as FAT32. Almost the whole hard drive is filled with music, which is used on a Windows computer. Is there a way that I can somehow get SuperDuper! to clone to this drive or reformat only part of it? Here's the whole story of why I'm doing this if there's additional info there. Thread

2. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I really need this fixed. Anyone?

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Ok just so we understand this...you need to clone your internal drive that is formatted as what? and you want to put that clone onto an external hard drive that is formatted what? It is kinda confusing and most people here wont bother with confusing...maybe try to clarify a little bit

4. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that. My internal is Mac OS Extended(Journaled) and the external is FAT32.

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Ok...no problem... I am going to warn you in advance that I am not totally knowledgeable about this, but here is what I think i know...

Your external drive has stuff on it correct? If that is the case... I would probably say you are in for a heck of a time trying to partition it and have one section with a different format. I would think the easiest way to do this would be to use Time Machine with a new external hard drive (which you can get fairly cheep now). You could also use the new external hard drive to do a clone. Using the one formatted FAT32 would be.... well i would think possibly dangerous to the files on the disk at this point. Looking over your other thread...I would say time machine is the easiest way to go... you will probably need a new drive. You could try partitioning the external drive with disk utility, but you don't want to mess up the partition scheme on it and thereby lose the files that are on it. Save your money from buying cloning software and buy a hard drive then use time machine... it will allow you to restore all your files, settings, preferences and everything just like a clone, but easier I would say.

6. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thank you very much. I was going to get an external hard drive for this, but wanted to know if there are any alternate ways of doing it because I'm really really short on money right now. Thanks!

7. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Fat32 drives ( your external ) only support a single file as big as 4gb's since your internal clone is going to be much larger then that I suggest you figure out some way to reformat the external first and change it to mac os x journaled as well.if you have access to another computer you can try copying all the data from the external into the internal of another machine and then reformatting the external into mac os x journaled. after that copy all the data back to the external machine and hook the drive back up to the computer you are trying to format and try using your cloning software it should work after that. sorry its a pain but thats the only way I know how to solve this problem.

EDIT: you could try partitioning it. go into disk utility's and choose the external drive and make a new partition ( assuming you have enough space left ) you want to make the new partition into a mac os x journeled format and you want to make it the same size as your internal drives hdd ( plus a couple more gb's just incase ) and then try using it like that it may work for you.

8. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Well... you could check with friends and see if you could borrow one for a day... how much do you have currently on your external drive? Could you back that up some how? Also how big is your internal drive?