Reformatting iPad erase iOS 7.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yacfactory, Nov 18, 2014.

1. yacfactory macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have an iPad 3 (the first iPad with retina), and I noticed it's been acting slow lately. However, I just wanted to know if I "erase all content and settings", will it also revert my iPad back to the original OS it came with when I first bought it back in 2012?

If it will, how do I reformat my iPad so I still get to keep my iOS 7.1.2, because I don't feel like upgrading to iOS 8.1?

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you go into Settings/General/Reset and Erase All Contents and Settings (not a reformat) it will bring you back to day one with your current iOS. But if you do a Restore (like a reformat) through iTunes you will get iOS 8.1.1. A reset might solve your problems.

3. yacfactory thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. How is "Erasing All Contents and Settings" not the same thing as a reformat? I just want a more responsive iPad. Do you think my iPads speed is slower now because of all the data I have stored on it, or because of the new iOS and it's age in general?

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Restore is the same as "reformatting". or basically erasing everything. If you have on your computer a backup copy of your iPad that has the 7.?? you can go back to that. What I remember in iOS7 there were problems there. Also, when you go to iOS7 you won't have any of the security patches.

Just do what mreg376 said and simply update to iOS 8.1.1 which will fix the lag that started with iOS 8.1 After you update it do the quick restore (hold down home button and the on/off button) or turn it off and wait an 12hrs to turn back on. :)

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

When you do the Erase..., you are simply removing all of the data from the iPad, leaving whatever version of iOS was already there. When you do a restore, you are in effect wiping the iPad's flash drive and installing a new iOS. Yes, your slowdown can be caused by data or data corruption.

Another option is to update your iPad to 8.1.1, and see if that helps. You should back up the updated iPad to iCloud. If the system is still not responsive, then do a restore and you'll get a fresh copy of 8.1.1 as well as all your apps and retired data.