Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Hey,
I'm actually a Mac guy, have a G4, a powerbook, and 3 iPods, however a friend of mind gave me his Windows iPod (4G Click Wheel) and it has HDD issues. I got it into Disk Mode, charged and restored it on a Dell at work and am trying to reformat the disk. I know that disk utility on a Mac allows you to format a disk and zero all data. It is a long process, but really cleans the drive. I figure doing this and restoring again may resolve this iPod's problems. I have tried right-clicking on the iPod in Windows Explorer (it is a mounted drive E: ) and have already checked it for bad sectors, and am now trying to use the format option in the right-click menu. It shows the volume, but the file system is blank, so is unit allocation size, and when I hit start it says ok to continue, cancel to quit, but ok doesn't start the format. Any suggestions.

Does anyone know the command lines to do it through the Command Prompt window.

Thanx.

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
roland.g said:
Hey,
I'm actually a Mac guy, have a G4, a powerbook, and 3 iPods, however a friend of mind gave me his Windows iPod (4G Click Wheel) and it has HDD issues. I got it into Disk Mode, charged and restored it on a Dell at work and am trying to reformat the disk. I know that disk utility on a Mac allows you to format a disk and zero all data. It is a long process, but really cleans the drive. I figure doing this and restoring again may resolve this iPod's problems. I have tried right-clicking on the iPod in Windows Explorer (it is a mounted drive E: ) and have already checked it for bad sectors, and am now trying to use the format option in the right-click menu. It shows the volume, but the file system is blank, so is unit allocation size, and when I hit start it says ok to continue, cancel to quit, but ok doesn't start the format. Any suggestions.

Does anyone know the command lines to do it through the Command Prompt window.

Thanx.

You may try a disc utility such as Partition Magic. Or if your friend doesn't have this installed try starting up Windows in DOS mode then type format E: and hit enter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.