Reformatting Mac Mini for sale

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DReynolds86, Jul 4, 2014.

1. DReynolds86 macrumors newbie

All,
    I just sold my June 2010 Mac Mini on eBay and want to format it back to factory settings and install Mavericks on it before I ship it off. I have Windows 7 partitioned on it as well and want to remove that before it's gone. Right now I cannot access the DVD drive since there is an error that does not allow the drive to open and accept discs. I read about going into the partition settings and resetting it from there, but will that 1) erase Windows 7 from the machine and 2) allow me to go and reinstall Mavericks on the thing? Thanks for your help.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use Internet Recovery to restore the Mini to factory settings. To use it, connect your Mini to the internet, preferably via a wired connection. Then turn it on and press and press and hold Command-R. This will make the Mini start Internet Recovery. Depending on the speed of your internet connection, it may take awhile for it to boot. Once it's done booting, you can erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X.

3. DReynolds86 thread starter macrumors newbie

And this will take off the Boot Camp partition and get rid of Windows?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You do have the option of removing Windows when in Internet Recovery.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Since you're sending it off to a new owner, I'd recommend using secure erase within Disk Utility so all the free space is overwritten. Better safe than sorry.

See here for more info: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3680?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The "zero out" method should be fine unless you have a need for a greater level of security, then go with the 7 pass method.