Reformatting Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmkim93, Dec 6, 2013.

1. tmkim93 macrumors newbie

I am currently running on the latest version of Mavericks 10.9 and I want to reformat my entire computer. I have a mid 2011 13" 2.7ghz i7 Macbook Pro. Any tips on how to do this properly? I already backed up my documents on my external with Time Machine.

2. undesign macrumors regular

Run the Mavericks installer at boot and before you select the drive you want to install onto, run Disk Utility:

[​IMG]

Select 'Security Options' and then select 'Zero Out'

[​IMG]

This will write 'zeros' all over the drive. Its not completely necessary to do 7 passes... it'd take a while anyway.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS and wait while the 5GB OS downloads and installs. That's it.

4. Supercell macrumors member

Is it necessary to reformat a new rMBP? Is it preinstalled with unnecessary applications when it ships from the factory?

I'm getting my first rMBP in a few days. Windows laptops come with preinstalled ****** software most of the time. Just wondering if this is also the case with Mac's (Probably not)?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not necessary at all. Macs don't come with all the crapware like some Windows machines do. Just fire it up and do a software update to grab any recent changes and you are good to go.