Reformatting Macbook Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shawh, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Shawh macrumors newbie

Hi. My friend's macbook has been running a little slow lately and I would like to help her reformat. However, she's not entirely sure where her install discs are. I was wondering if I could use my install discs to reformat her machine? If so, could I also use my copy to install Snow Leopard after?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install disks are specific to the model they came with.

3. Shawh thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess we'll just have to find where she put them.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use the Snow Leo disk if it's the retail version (not legally but who cares)

5. Shawh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's the retail version. If I used it, would it clean out the computer as well? Or would it just upgrade and keep the files?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you just click install, it'll keep all files. If you want to perform a clean install, select Disk Utility from menu bar and erase the HD when booted from 10.6 disk

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Right. This thread appears to be quite confusing. By retail disk, it means the disk that was purchased from a store separate from a computer. The disks that came with your computer are different, and they are tied to that model. If you bought a copy of Snow Leopard from the store, it will work. If you use it, it will completely wipe the computer, unless you're advocating piracy by upgrading from an older OS, in that case you can upgrade, but it's bad. :p

8. Shawh thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks! Good to know we don't have to go digging around all her files trying to find her copy of Leopard. I thought since SL was an upgrade, you'd need the original Leopard disc as well to erase the HD.