Reformatting MacBook, what to do with pictures (and Aperture)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patriks7, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the photography or MacBook section (so I'll try both if I get no luck here).
    So I decided to reformat my MacBook Pro, because it has been becoming quite laggy lately due to all the useless stuff I have installed (and well I'm also in the need of a new harddrive). I have copied most of my files and everything I need onto an external harddrive. However, I don't know how to copy my photos in Aperture and also my Aperture app. Should I just copy it normally or will I have problems authenticating it after my reformat? Also, the last time I did something like this, most of my photos lost the editing I did to them :s (I keep the raws). I do have a timemachine backup in case it goes completely wrong, but would rather get it right the first time.
    Hope my post makes any sense and that someone here can help me. :D

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Are all your photos consolidated in your Aperture library?
    If so you can just copy the library across to your external drive.

You should reinstall Aperture from disk after you've reformatted.

I'm using Aperture 2.0 and my presets are in ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture (~ = your home directory), you'd want to copy this folder to your external drive as well.

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Defiantly save the contents of this folder as it contains your export, file-naming, metadata and adjustment presets. Then just copy the files back on your new hard drive.

For moving you files, yeah if the library is consolidated, you can move the library itself or you could use an Aperture Vault if you already use those.

4. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Thanks a lot for your help. Now I just have to wait form my harddrive to arrive.