Reformatting Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pricklypear, Oct 13, 2009.

1. pricklypear macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I just bought the upgrade to Snow Leopard today, and I wanted to reformat my computer before installing it (with the Snow Leopard disc). How would I do this? Thanks in advance.

2. celticpride678

Boot into the Snow Leopard DVD by holding down the “C” key at startup. Then, navigate to “Utilities” in the menu bar. After that, select “Disk Utility”. Then, select “Macintosh HD” or similar from the left sidebar, go to the “Erase” tab and follow instructions.

Then, install Snow Leopard using the installer after Disk Utility is finished.

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

insert disk
    go to sys prefs
    select start up disk
    choose snow leopard disk
    restart
    when machine boots from disc you get a basic window and menu at the top
    select utilities - disk utility
    choose erase for your volume
    close disk utility
    install snow leopard from basic window

oh, best you back up all of your data first - you'll obviously loose the lot

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is there something wrong with your current installation of Leopard (or are you running Tiger)? I did a simple upgrade from 10.5.8 and have yet to have a single SL issue..

YMMV, but just saying...

5. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Make sure you back up everything on an external hard drive before you erase and re-install!

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

More specifically; time machine back-up. So when you boot up for the first time, after the fresh install, you can import everything back they way it was and be on your marry way.