Reformatting My dad's 15 inch Macbook Pro with my 13 inch Disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlee22, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jlee22 macrumors newbie

So, my dad can't find his macbook pro disks. He bought his macbook pro back in 2009 (i believe the spring) and I just bought mine in September. He needs me to reformat it for him, but like I said, he doesn't have his disks. He lost them. Can I use mine?

I went through the beginning of the process.. I got to disk utilities and I was getting ready to "Erase", because I figured if it would let me get this far, then that means that the disk would work, however, I am afraid that once I erase, I won't be able to install. What if the disk doesn't work??

I am just curious if anyone else has had this issue or have used their disks on others computers that are different sizes. His has the same operating system and everything. It is just 10.5 and mine is 10.6. but I updated mine since I got it anyway. and so has he. I know his didn't come with it. idk. I don't really know that much about computers, as you can tell.

ANY help that you can give me will be helpful. If we have to, we will pay apple and buy the disks again, but he doesn't want to do that. He is kinda sorta cheap it that way... ;) heh.

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It will let you use disk utility to erase the drive. It will not let you install OSX. Call Apple. They will sell your dad replacement restore DVDs for about $25.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those grey restore DVDs are model specific, thus you can't use them with any other exact model like they were coming with. You can contact Apple and ask for replacement DVDs (15 to 30 USD) or use Target Disk Mode to wipe your Dad's MBP.

4. jlee22 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. There are, approximately, 15 threads started on MacRumors every day with people trying to use the wrong restore DVDs and them not working.

6. jlee22 thread starter macrumors newbie