reformatting my mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enzojauregui, Apr 16, 2010.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

Hello! As the title states, I plan on reformatting my mbp. I'm quite new to this so I really need your help. My mbp came with leopard but I later on upgraded to snow leopard. Knowing that I bought it as an upgrade, I should install the leopard cd that came with my mbp. This is where i'm getting confused, should i install all the updates before installing snow or can I immediately pop in snow and install it? And what else should I keep in mind when reformatting? Thanks in advance!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you got the 29€ DVD, then you don't need to pre-install Leopard, just use the Snow Leopard DVD to re-format and re-install.

[​IMG]

3. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

yes i got that one, but isnt it requires that you have leopard in order to install it, how then would it detect that? btw, i plan to do a clean install

4. snar3281 macrumors newbie

watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqaH6h0JVI

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, it does not require a previous installation of any Mac OS X version.

You can use it as if it were your restore DVD or a retail version (which it is btw), so no need to have Leopard on it.

Just pop in the SL DVD, erase the HDD and re-format it, install the system and remove the DVD. If you want iLife to be installed, you need the second gray restore DVD that came with your Mac.

Also MRoogle (my sig) and Google will tell you the same, if you want further confirmation.

6. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

if that's the case, then great. it would save me a lot of time, haha. i was under the impression that i had leopard to be preinstalled. thanks for the help!

7. carbonfly macrumors regular

This is apple, not microsoft. LOL Everything just works.