Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Can anyone help me reformatting my iPod with two GUID partitions? Every time I try and format it using Disk Utility, I get the very informative error: "Input/Output Error"

I've tried a few other pieces of partitioning software but I always end up with it failing with useless error messages. Is there something inherent in the iPod that stops you formatting as GUID?

Thanks

P.S. iPartition gives the error "Partition map failed to write back to the cache" if that helps with anything.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Yep, I verified the disk and there wern't any problems. I'm using an old school iPod photo 60GB.

If there aren't any solutions then it's not a problem- I'm using my external USB drive to boot from as a temporary solution until I can get another external drive.

Thanks for your help though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
To be honest, I'm not sure that it's possible on iPods newer than the 4G, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Nevertheless, I would have thought it'd give you a more specific error message if that were the case.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
Yeah that's what I thought was weird too- Input/Output error really doesn't mean a thing. Still, everything is sorted with the external USB so it's not the end of the world.

Cheers

Si

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.