Reformatting new External HD - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tricky, May 30, 2008.

1. tricky macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 1TB MyBook external drive. I am hooking it up to my airport extreme to use as a network drive. I am also thinking about attempting to use time machine wirelessly. If I can't or do not feel comfortable with the backups I'm getting (since wireless backups, other than time capsule, are not officially supported by Apple), I will probably just connect my laptop a few times a week to get a backup. The other space I will be using for my music collection, photos, movies, etc.

That being said, I am looking for advise on how to format/partition the drive. From what i've read, I need to either format the entire drive as Mac Extended (journaled) or at least a partition of it in order to use time machine. If I do the entire drive, PC's will not be able to read the drive. Is that correct? My current HD that I would be backing up is 120GB. I may end up getting a bigger drive in the future...250GB. What would be a good size for the time machine partition?

So if you just got a 1TB drive, and wanted to use part of it for time machine, and the other space for music/movies, how would you format it? Thanks!

2. knux11 macrumors regular

i'd say format it half and half. get macdrive if you want windows to see the drives.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I recommend 3 partitions:

120GB (At least to be close to your internal) - use for cloning your internal drives for disaster recovery.
    500 GB (Time machine or any other backup) - You could use less, it all depends on your backup scheme.
    xyz GB - Whatever is left to use as storage/scratch, etc.

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

My Time Capsule is formatted as it came from the manufacturer but I don’t know what that is. I was able to map my Time Capsule as a network drive within the XP installation I made to my VMware Fusion partition. My XP installation’s primary function is to support Quicken 2008 for Windows. I had been using a Quicken Backups folder I had created on a USB flash drive for backups of my Quicken data files. I was able to copy the Quicken Backups folder from the USB drive to the TC without incident. Since then I have been backing up Quicken to the TC without any problems. I don’t know why this works, exactly, but it does.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

MacDrive will allow Windows to read OS X drives, however it is payware.

There is also an open source freeware utility that will allow you to mount and read an OS X drive in Windows, but I forget the name.

6. tricky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I did a 50/50, but I may end up trying a few different set ups. I don't know if i'm crazy about how time machine functions anyway. It will take some time to get used to.