Reformatting old mac with friend's start up disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nyimyours, Feb 18, 2010.

1. nyimyours macrumors newbie

I have a 3-4 year old macbook (operates tiger) that I want to reformat because I plan on giving it to someone. The problem is I no longer have the start up disks after moving. My roommate purchased her macbookpro about 6 months ago and I was wondering if I can reformat my macbook with her disks (operates leopard)?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes.

You can't boot your MacBook directly using her disks, but you can connect the two computers with a FireWire cable, start your computer in target disk mode, then reboot hers to the installer and choose to erase and install to your hard drive, which should appear in the install options.

Personally, I'd never buy a used Mac without the restore disks, but I guess if you're giving it away, beggars can't be choosars. (Spelling error intentional.)

3. nyimyours thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I may possibly have the disks in the original box my laptop came in, the problem is that is across the country and my mother claims she doesn't see them. I'm giving it to my sister, which is why it really doesn't matter.