Reformatting Problems on my 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cjgrode, Jun 21, 2014.

1. cjgrode macrumors newbie

I just sold my 2011 MBA on eBay and am running into a small issue. My machine was upgraded to Mavericks which is obviously linked to my Apple ID. I know how to reformat the machine and erase the HD but when I go to reinstall OSX for a the buyer, I am asked to authenticate with my Apple ID. How can I reformat so the new user can setup the machine like the day I bought it?

Obviously the MBA doesn't come with recovery disks so I am not sure what do do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use a USB flash storage thumb drive and make an installer out of it via this method and then do a clean install booted from that installer and the buyer can setup his or her own Apple ID once he opens it.

3. cjgrode thread starter macrumors newbie

And using this method wont ask for my Apple ID like doing the internet reinstall?

4. simsaladimbamba

It will ask after the installation process during the setup of a user account, but you can gladly skip that.

5. cjgrode thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go ahead and enter your AppleID and do the install. All it does it allow you to DL the OS from Apple's servers. It does not in any way tie your AppleID to that install.

Just tell the buyer to first thing logon to the App Store with his AppleID and "purchase" Mavericks so he can reinstall if he ever needs to.