Reformatting the Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cvance, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cvance macrumors newbie

Ok so I got a new Mac Book Pro and I had it out of the box for about an hour, when it tells me I need to install updates so I do and when I restart it wont come on. I call the guys at apple they tell me to try and repair the hard drive with the boot up disc so i tried, it does'nt work. I try to just do a fresh reinstall but whenit gets to the third screen to pick where i want to install the OS it does'nt show a hard drive or anything for me to install it on.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I took it to a store and they told me that they were not certified to work on the apple laptops.

Thanks

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Sounds like you got a crap HD. Call Apple, and ask them to either send you a new laptop, or have them replace the one in your MBP.

The fact that you can't see the HD means that it's either fried or improperly partitioned. If you want to try fixing it yourself there is one thing you can try- Boot from the CD, and after you select your language look for the Disk Utility inside one of the drop-down menus. When it launches, see if you can see your HD. If you can, then there should be an option to partition it. Go ahead and do so. Then try installing OSX again. If that doesn't work, just call Apple and have them replace/repair it.

3. sxl95 macrumors member

If you have an Apple Store in your area, I'd sign up to speak with a genius and take it there. Heck, if it is a stock model, and you've had it less then 14 days, see if they will take it back.

If you don't have an Apple Store nearby, I'd call AppleCare and tell them what happened. Sounds like a hardware issue, but I am no expert. I am just hoping my new MBP is good out of the box.

-Sam

4. cvance thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I called them and they are going to ship me a box for repairs on it.

One more question though I partitioned it into HD1 and HD2 and when I installed OS X on HD1 it wont let me delete HD2.