Reformatting the internal hdd partition table

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gordjule, Sep 12, 2009.

1. gordjule macrumors newbie

Hello. This is my first post on any forum... I've always just read them, but I need specific help this time! :) I have a 1st generation 13" white macbook with 2gb of ram and a 2ghz processor. I upgraded my internal hard drive to a 500 gb hard drive, and when I did that - for some reason, the default partitioning table was an apple partition. Now that I'm trying to install Snow Leopard, it says I need a guid partitioning table. I've cloned everything to an external drive, and I'm ready to reformat the partition table of my internal hdd to guid, but disk utility can't unmount the disk. I'm kinda stumped, and I can't find any forums that are specific enough to help me, so... here I am.:D Thanks for any help - it's deeply appreciated.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hmm, sounds like you didn't boot from the Snow Leopard Install DVD.
    Do so, then, from the Utilities-menu, choose Disk Utility and repartition your internal drive with the GUID partition table, i. e. select your internal HD from the left-hand list (the drive, not the partition on it, which is displayed indented), click the "Options" button and select "GUID", then "Apply".

3. gordjule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I knew it was probably something stupid that I wasn't doing. Everything works great.