Reformatting when PC -> Mac?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Slayerboym88, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

Just a question, since it's been a while (September) since I've had to get a new iPod (trust me, thats a long time for me):
    Now that I'm getting a new Blackbook soon (as soon as it leaves Shanghai and delivers to the east) will I have to reformat my iPod so that I can enable syncing between it and Mac iTunes?
    Also, when I do so, will I lose the play counts, ratings, etc, since I currently manually manage everything and do not keep my library in iTunes? Thanks

-anxious Mac-virgin

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

iTunes on MacOS can sync just fine with Windows formatted iPods. If you keep manually managing the tracks on the iPod, you should be fine. However you can only update the firmware if it's Mac formatted, and to do that iTunes will wipe your iPod clean. Also, once you enabled syncing, you'll loose the tracks on your iPod.

I would backup your iPod first. There are plenty of free software out there that can transfer your music from iPod to PC/Mac.

3. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have my music all backed up onto a WD passport (the reason why I said it was miracle that it's been so long since I've had a new one: my old iPod Photo kept dying on me and I had to get it refurbed). What I'm thinking of doing is just fresh installing all of my tunes from that into iTunes.

However, is there a way I can save the favorites/playcounts/ratings/playlists etc from my iPod and overlap that onto a new iTunes library so that I can then put that back onto my iPod classic?