Reformatting Windows Partition Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TimJim, Nov 12, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I want to reformat my windows drive from NTFS to FAT (btw is NTFS better than FAT?) and i was going to use Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do it, but they didn't see the partition cause it's NTFS.

So...If i do a copy/paste of my Windows XP drive onto an external drive, then reformat and repartition the drive, then copy/paste the Windows XP folder (that i copied onto the external earlier), would i be able to boot up just as i did before?

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the skinny on FAT

nope. sorry.

and if you use something like ghost to create an image, it will be of the current NTFS partition, and will restore as a NTFS partition. easy to go from FAT to NTFS, but no easy way to go back.

that being said... i've seen lots of recommendations to use 'Partition Magic' to do the conversion. i've tried with no success, but YMMV. from the help screen on PM8;

best of luck.

3. bellrinder macrumors newbie

I had to download a wipe drive program (found it through google) and completely wipe my drive through my windows laptop. Only after that was my Mac willing to erase and reformat. Even when i deleted the partition with windows computer management, Mac saw it as NTFS.

Partition Magic saw it as a "Bad" drive because I had already partitioned and formatted one part with Mac for backup, (then formatted the other with NTFS). After wiping it, PM listed it as healthy, but I didn't try formatting to Fat because I wanted to dedicate both partitions for the Mac only.

So if you wipe it maybe PM will then format to Fat 32. Windows Disk management will only format it to NTFS because of the size (300 gb).

4. crashlander macrumors newbie

Can only answer part of your question ... the difference between NTFS & Fat32.

Fat32 enables both Mac and Windows to read and write it. NTFS can only be read (not written) by Mac OS. However, Fat32, being ancient limits the size of a file. I think it's max 2GB? NTFS doesn't have any constraints. Fat32 also might have more restrictions on the naming convention compared to the Mac OS or NTFS. Have heard of some file names not transferring in whole.

5. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

So even if i copy/paste the exact Windows XP Partition onto an external drive then reload that on another partition it wouldnt work?