Reformatting / Wiping MacBook with NO Install DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by svcghost, Jul 4, 2010.

1. svcghost macrumors member

Hello guys,

Is there any way I can reformat / totally wipe my MacBook and start over? I want to sell the laptop and want to make sure it is at the state it was when I first bought it from Apple. I want all my information and data off of it.

The thing is though, I don't have the original install DVD. All I have is the install DVD for my new MacBook Pro I just bought. So I'm assuming I cannot use that DVD to reformat the MacBook (tried and it failed, I think).

Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

Indeed it does. Yes.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Okay, if you want to sell the MacBook without an operating system, you could use Target Disk Mode. After it is in Target Disk Mode, connect it to your MacBook Pro, then boot the MacBook Pro off of its Mac OS X install disk. Then go into Utilities>Disk Utility, select your MacBook's hard drive and then the Erase tab. From there you can click on Security Options and select how secure you want the erase to be, finally, erase the hard drive.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This won't return it to like new, but it's probably as close as you can get without an install disc. Create a new user account. Delete old user account (your current account). Use Disk Utility to Erase Free Space.

6. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Thank you for the awesome reply. I can certainly try this. For the time being I do not have my MacBook Pro (at the girlfriend's house for the day).

Any other way to do this besides using another MacBook? It is a bit surprising to me that Apple doesn't offer some sort of way to reformat the drive without using the original disk (e.g. any official install downloads available from Apple?).

Good suggestion. I already did this too! :)

The weird thing about this is, apparently it doesn't delete the applications installed on the old user's system. So many of the files remain.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you do that you will have a completely blank (empty) hard drive, there will be nothing on it and the MacBook will not be able to boot, is that what you really want to do?

Just delete the applications. Drag 'em to the trash and empty.

8. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

No. Sorry. What I really want is to just wipe everything clean off the hard drive that has to do with me and my personal life / data. I don't want my name on it. I just want it to start clean. And I want it to be able to run Mac OS X Snow Leopard or still have the operating system installed and just delete the data on it so a new user can use it without knowing anything about me.

But if I drag stuff to the trash, like applications and images and music, can't people still find it on the hard drive somewhere? Or is that what the Disk Utility --> Erase Free Space function solves?

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Apple should be able to get you the correct software for a small fee so you can do it properly...

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Once you've deleted everything that you don't want on it you can then have Disk Utility Erase Free Space. This will erase all of the hard drive that's not occupied by data. Is it as good as reformatting and reinstalling the OS, probably not, but it's probably as good as you can get under your present circumstances. If that's not what you want then I'd second J&JPolangin's advice in the message above.

11. eman macrumors 6502a

12. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

I have a Snow Leopard Install DVD (the one you could buy in stores for like 19.99 by itself). Can I use this to erase and install? Need to find it. hehe

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yes, that will work.

14. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

Put in in, shut down, boot up while holding the "c" key?

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yep!

16. svcghost thread starter macrumors member

Thank you DrewGuy. I appreciate the patience and helpfulness! :)
    Looks like I got what I wanted.

17. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that's working out. Hope you enjoy your new MBP when you get it.

18. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes