Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Katilpz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
hi i recently bought used mac pro 2017. The owner still logged in with his icloud. Can i reformat it even if its with previous owners i cloud on? I try to log out but it always ask for password which i dont know...is this possible to reformat? Or reinstall? To get rid of the i cloud?

OS is mojave

I try to message the owner but no reply for a week. I guess im on my own now

Any help will be appreciated

AManInACan

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
hi i recently bought used mac pro 2017. The owner still logged in with his icloud. Can i reformat it even if its with previous owners i cloud on? I try to log out but it always ask for password which i dont know...is this possible to reformat? Or reinstall? To get rid of the i cloud?

OS is mojave

I try to message the owner but no reply for a week. I guess im on my own now

You probably bought a stolen Mac. Any decent owner would have apologized for not having logged out and would have reformatted the drive themselves so you can't get to any data.

Here are steps to reload Mac OS X from a fast internet connection. Good luck.

Katilpz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
You probably bought a stolen Mac. Any decent owner would have apologized for not having logged out and would have reformatted the drive themselves so you can't get to any data.

Here are steps to reload Mac OS X from a fast internet connection. Good luck.

Bought it last month on fb marketplace..i guessed she's legit since for 2 weeks shes out there on her profile before i totally erase everything on our communication..but anyway, would there be any problem along the way while formatting? like asking for icloud password again? im just worried that it wont finished the formatting or re-installing the OS if it will ask for pw...just making sure though..

But thanks anyway

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Bought it last month on fb marketplace..i guessed she's legit since for 2 weeks shes out there on her profile before i totally erase everything on our communication..but anyway, would there be any problem along the way while formatting? like asking for icloud password again? im just worried that it wont finished the formatting or re-installing the OS if it will ask for pw...just making sure though..

But thanks anyway
If it lets you boot into the installer (internet or USB) and wipe the drive. It'll let you do a clean install. Any firmware or find my mac (icloud) locks would be at changing boot drives or wiping the boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.