Refresh Cycle for Laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apptastic, Dec 19, 2013.

1. apptastic macrumors newbie

If given a choice, what do you guys prefer and why ?

a) Invest a lot in a laptop (e.g. rMBP 15" for $2,600) and keeping the laptop for 4-5 years.
    b) Invest somewhat less (e.g. rMBP 13" for $1,700) and changing the laptop every two years.

I've to make a choice between the top stock configuration of 13" and 15".
    Pretty much confused at the moment. It will be my main and only computer.
    My decision will be mainly based on the answer to the question above.

Sidenote:
    I have been using a 15.6" HP laptop for the last four years, and I'm not sure whether 13" will fit seamlessly into my workflow. Although, I'm pretty much sure that I won't be needing the extra power that 15" provides over the 13", for work purposes as I don't do video editing and photo editing and all that stuff. I'd prefer a portable laptop, but I don't know how much of a difference is there in between the 13" and 15" rMBP as I don't have an Apple Store nearby.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you are doing very CPU intensive work all the time, even the lowest end Macbook is more than powerful enough for routine tasks.

I would go with the lower end model every couple years. After two years you can still sell it for a decent price and recoup a lot of the cost. Also, I have been buying with my VISA card that extends the warranty one year, so my Macbook is always covered by a warranty.