Refresh: How soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PurpleCliff, Oct 12, 2011.

1. PurpleCliff macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

Having some serious issues with my old Macbook Pro and need to upgrade.

I see that it's been 230 days since the last refresh with an average of 215 days. How long do you guys think it will be before the next iteration releases? Should I just buy now?

Thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you need it now, buy it now.
    An educated guess for next refresh is 2012 April since Ivy Bridge chips comes out in april of next year.

3. PurpleCliff thread starter macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

Mmm, yeah sounds like a good idea to just get it now.

Thanks very much! :D

4. punchwalk macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I agree with this guess. Based on MBP history, there would seem to be a possibility of a slight processor bump (faster clock speeds perhaps), but a full refresh is probably several months away. If they were to refresh before Ivy Bridge, I can't see how it would be much better than the current offering anyway based on the available technology.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you need it now, buy it now.

NO ONE outside of Apple knows when the MBP will be "refreshed."

As for processor bumps, that seems unlikely. The example often pointed to is the i5/i7 models being "bumped" even though they were not--all Apple did was to introduce a 2.8 GHz i7 as a BTO option. No other changes were made.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

FYI Amazon only has "1 left in stock" of the 2199 15" and 2499 17". Hopefully this is some indication that Apple is releasing a minor spec bump late in October. Say what you want, but to have that "New" monicker next to the MBP on their website probably helps Apple generate some extra sales on a particular model.

7. eric.john macrumors member

I'm assuming the same thing. Possibly before/around WWDC 2012?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

9. kaydot macrumors regular

I would like to note that I do not believe the average on the buyer's guide is correct. When I add up the days and divide by 5, I get an average of 272. Not a single # in the list is less than 230, so I don't know how the average of 215 is calculated.

10. Risasi macrumors 6502

I half expect we won't see an Ivy Bridge refresh until summer of 2012. And I'm thinking it will be four machines. An 11", 13", 15" and 17"...