Refresh on MB/MBP line-ups

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvtp, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kvtp macrumors newbie

I've read the buyer's guide and noticed a trent of 3 October and 1 November release date for new lineup of MacBooks(or pros) , out of 12, so that's 1/3rd of the time around the next 2 months

I'm taking this semester off and not going to college till the spring so I'm in no rush to get one but my only reason I'm not getting one now is because I'm worried it'll be a completely new macbook or what not, how often does htis happen, or do most of you think it'll just be the same unibody MB with updated specs?

first time buying a mac so I'm unaware of how often they refresh the laptops and how big of a upgrade it is when they do (other than what little I read on thje buyer's guide)

2. dennis123123 macrumors member

Whilst its possible they could update the Pro line, I think they'll wait a few more months to give USB3 a chance to make it into the next refresh.

It seems more likely that the plastic Macbook is the one getting the refresh in a few weeks - I read somewhere they were switching it to an Atom cpu to make it comparatively cheap.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Honestly, you can spend the better part of a month trying to predict whether or not apple's going to update a model, and what the updates may be. And then you'll probably still get it wrong.

Macs aren't cheap; they're not impulse buys. (Okay, they shouldn't be.) If you truly need a mac, get it now. If you don't, wait until you do.

Are you using a perfectly good windows laptop and just want to justify spending hard earned cash on a mac? Then you really don't need a mac, unless there's some software for os x that's necessary for school or work.

Are you using a beat up desktop or laptop that's having reliability problems, i.e., on it's last legs? Then you do need a new system.

If you need a system, and buy one that fits your needs, it's not going to be magically obsolete if a newer one with slightly better features comes out. And rest assured, a newer, faster computer with better features will always come out.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

That's ridiculously practical. What happened to blowing a load of cash on a shiny new Mac?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They just updated the line recently and I don't think we're going to see anything new from apple in 2009 - at least in reference to the MBP line.

I believe the next refresh will be for the Nehalem chipsets and that won't be until 2010. Heck at this point if you can hold off buying a laptop now, I'd wait until you see the Nehalem chipsets in a MBP.

6. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Never a truer word spoken...

7. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

The thing that worries me the most about that refresh is, They just recently updated the line and If they update the white Macbook again it will be in line with the same specs as a Mac Pro 13" for less money, keep in mind it's already border line with the pro. which in return will force another refresh to the whole Mac Pro line. You can't change one with out changing the others.

The end result could be a Mac Pro line we don't like. We could lose firewire again or maybe the SD slot etc. I'm sure apple is not going to give us more for less. :confused:

8. dennis123123 macrumors member

They won't. My guess is they'll update the plastic macbook to newer parts, but only to make it on par with netbooks. There was talk of them changing its CPU to an Atom to make it all low powered (long battery life) and cheaper as a very discounted entry level machine.

October 2009:

Plastic macbook gets intel Atom cpu, SSD, new thinner design, extra long life battery.

February 2010:

Macbook pro line gets a refresh, new CPUs. current 9400m MBPs to use on-chip intel graphics (ugh!!). current 9600 MBPs get Nvidia something or other. all 4GB ram as standard.

New iTablet shiney shiney expensive giant ipod touch gets released.

My guesses so far, anyway!

9. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

No way the Macbook is getting SSD. No way MBP are going to get on-board gfx. It wouldn't be a "Pro".

10. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Don't the MBP 13" and base 15" already use the 9400M which is on-board gfx? The other 15" & 17" units get the 9400M and the 9600.

11. dennis123123 macrumors member

Yes, 9400M is already an on-board gfx used by 13 and base 15.

12. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

It'd be a nice surprise if they came out with a "iTablet" or whatever they want to call it this Oct/Nov but doubt it as current rumors point to Feb 2010 if they ever release one.

There's a new HP "Envy 15" laptop with a mobile Intel Core i7 CPU that just came out so when the Macbook Pro's get those and maybe USB3 thrown in is when its worthwhile for me to upgrade. Otherwise anything else is just incremental upgrades.

13. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Prediction: Apple comes out with refreshed macbooks and macbook pros and makes us all wish we had one. Probability 100%

I am skeptical that they will turn the macbook into a netbook, unless they're ready to go back on the statement we can't build a 500$ computer that's not a piece of junk. Perhaps they will use a CULV, but I can't imagine wanting to buy anything with an atom in it that was > 300-400$.

As for nehelem, it will be faster, but might come with intel Gfx, for the 13 and the base 15, due to the talk of gpu integration on die.

You could always subscribe to my theory of macbook buys. I buy one, and sell it a few months later when a new one comes out, eat some loss, and buy a new one. On the other hand I never need to buy apple care :) And if you buy it when the back to school ipod specials are on, you can sell the ipod and take minimal loss for a continually up to date laptop.

14. Scarzy macrumors newbie

I was going to buy a base 13" MBP tommorow, but now am not sure whether to wait or not. in realistic terms will the MBP 13" recieve a refresh as it was only updated in july? I know it said iMac and Macbook lines, but not the pro, so its still a good time to buy tommorow?