Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Has anyone purchased "refreshed" stock from an Apple Store? My understanding is that if they have stock that has been returned to the store, they will sell it to you, discounted 10% that they charged as a restocking fee to the person the returned it. If you are eligible for the edu discount, you get the additional edu discount on top. Sounds great, if you can get the model you want.

Anyone know how this works and how likely I am to find a 20" iMac that way?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Has anyone purchased "refreshed" stock from an Apple Store? My understanding is that if they have stock that has been returned to the store, they will sell it to you, discounted 10% that they charged as a restocking fee to the person the returned it. If you are eligible for the edu discount, you get the additional edu discount on top. Sounds great, if you can get the model you want.

I don't think discounts work that way...

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005

Although it's said that some of the refurbished items on Apple's site are actually refreshed, I've only seen computers labeled "refreshed" in Apple's stores (generally after Christmas). Finding what you want is a matter of persistence and luck. If you are near a store you could ask

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
If you are eligible for the edu discount, you get the additional edu discount on top. Sounds great, if you can get the model you want.

That part isn't true as far as I know, or at least I've never heard of that. And as said before, I've only seen "refreshed" items after Christmas.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
I could have swore the sales rep I spoke to on the phone said to use the refresh discount PLUS the edu discount for the best deal. He brought this up because I was asking about buying a refurb and then mentioned I was eligible for edu discount.

cmccarten

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
as far as i know, you do not get the education discount on top of the refresh discount. i have bought a "refreshed" macbook pro and a blackbook, and didn't recieve the education discount on top. however, the refresh discount on both was >way< more than 10% and more than the edu discount.

call the store and ask ahead. they'll be able to tell you what refreshes are available at what price.

and, for what its worth, both refreshes that i bought were in september-november, not after christmas.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
I just went with a friend to Lynnwood WA Apple store. She bought an iMac from refreshed stock. Received the refresh discount AND her EDU discount. Turned out to be a GREAT deal for her.

Gentile

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I recently purchased a "refreshed" Airport Extreme base station from a local Apple store for $149.00 which is about 16% off the normal price of $179.

I called before hand and they said they had 1 available. A technician was checking it out and said it would be ready in about an hour. I gave them my name to hold it and came in a few hours later. Once I arrived, they had it read for me, scanned my credit card, emailed me my receipt, and I was on my way out the door. A very nice experience which I would recommend to others. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.