Refreshes tied to...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ScottFitz, May 10, 2008.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I'm watching patterns and just thinking about what I would do were I running a large computer maker. I think when a new version comes out, an initial order is placed, perhaps with a follow-up order as some sort of guarantee in some way. When those are all gone or close to gone, then its time to re-spec the model with the latest CPU/GPU that is out there.

So customer demand would essentially drive the schedule. Look at the lowly mac mini. Perhaps Apple misjudged their appeal and they've still got thousands sitting in a warehouse. Nothing happens on a refresh until they get below a certain stocking point.

Then something like the iMac or the Macbook gets a refresh at a much earlier date than anyone would guess. Popular models that run through their stock quickly enough. Why place an additional order at the same specs when its just as easy and perhaps as cheap to put in the latest CPU? Better yet, Intel says we're out of the old ones. You have to buy the new ones. Win-win-win situation between Apple, Intel and the consumer.

I'm also guessing Intel runs a similar strategy. X yield on a 300mm wafer, plan to make so many thousands of wafers and boom, they upgrade their next design.

Who knows, just some coffee inspired saturday morning ramblings...

2. StuBeck macrumors 6502

The first 4 MacBook upgrades were at the same time of the year (May and November) and the only reason the MacBook was upgraded in February of this year was because Intel wasn't going to sell the old processors to them.

Although I do agree with you on the mini. They want to keep the price up because it isn't their highest seller, upgrading them all the time would make the older ones worth less.

3. macdot macrumors 6502

That, or there aren't really any groundbreaking upgrades that can be done and keep it at the current price point.

4. Stokes macrumors regular

I don't get the Mini.... just doesn't seem cost effective.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure they can increase the processor and hard drive pretty inexpensively, they just don't want people to buy it rather than an iMac. If the mini came with a 2.4 proc and a 200 GB hard drive for £450, I'd be more interested, but as it is I'm going to get a MB.