Refund if bought through ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajsimeon, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ajsimeon macrumors regular

has anyone tried to get some kind of store credit if you bought an iphone through ebay and received the receipt? mine is still withiin the 14-day period.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when you say it's still within the 14-day period, is that for the original purchase date of the phone or is it for the end date of the auction? if it's for the former, the auction seller should be able to get the $200. i don't know how it would work for you, though. :eek:

3. ajsimeon thread starter macrumors regular

the date is from when the original owner bought it. i don't think he has the receipt anymore since i have the original. i was just gonna go in and ask for a gift card of some sort.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

if you have the original receipt and you are still within 14 days of the *original* purchase date (the date the original owner bought it from the apple store), run, don't walk, to your nearest apple store. unless the original owner already claimed it, you may be able get $200 back if he paid $499/$599 for the iphone. if he already claimed it, you probably won't get anything, even the $100 store credit - when the details on the $100 store credit steve announced are released next week, i'm guessing they will use serial numbers to track who has received a partial refund (for those within 14 days of purchase) or the credit...

5. ajsimeon thread starter macrumors regular

yes but it wasn't paid in cash so the credit would go to his card. think they would give me store credit instead?

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

perhaps. bring everything with you (a copy of the auction, the iphone, the box, accessories) and the receipt to show them that you are truly in possession of the iphone now...

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. I sincerely doubt you will get any kind of refund/credit having bought from Ebay. Id honestly like to be there to hear that conversation though.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. Personally, I think ajsimeon is out of luck.

9. ajsimeon thread starter macrumors regular

well maybe not get the $200 back but would like to see the details on the $100 gift card thing. we'll see what happens within the week. i still have the till the 16th to worry about the 14-day period

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple hasn't announced how owners will get the credit but sheer logic tells me that it will go to the original owner who bought it in the ATT or Apple Store. Since you bought yours on eBay that is considered 3rd party. Your choice is to either return the phone (if the seller allows this) or to just suck it up. I doubt you'll be getting anything from Apple unless the seller fowards it to you.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Usually buying from eBay strips you of any ability to return a product to a store on your own. I would think the same logic applies with the refund credit.

12. cybertron3 macrumors member

As usual with retail stores, it will greatly depend on the employee. I believe they CAN do it, but I am not sure they will.

Try to ask someone who is smiling ;).

Good luck!

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

If the person that sold you the phone bought it from at&t or Apple, they are going to get the refund/credit, not you. Sorry.