Refund on Refurbished

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minimeme, Sep 4, 2009.

1. minimeme macrumors newbie

Has anyone ever gotten a full refund on a refurbished laptop?

I ordered a refurbished macbook pro and have been having a lot of problems with it. I tried calling apple support and they hung up on me 2 times and then put me on hold until their service hours were over. I really, really, really don't want to deal with them any more. I am seriously sick and do not need the arrogance and aggrivation of a company that is this way.

I tried using the return option on my order, but when I put in defective it tells me I have to call tech support. When I put in I changed my mind, it wants to charge me a very expensive restocking fee. Buying this computer was very expensive for me. I cannot afford to loose money on it.

Any ideas on how I can get a full refund?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

E-Mail steve. This sounds totally not like Apple's customer service.

3. minimeme thread starter macrumors newbie

I just had 3 tumors removed from my liver. I am very sick. When I first called they said they couldn't hear me, when I spoke up, they claimed I was yelling at them. By the second hang up, I was asking "please, please, please can we talk about my computer and get off of me?" They said I was being sarcastic. What I am is sick.

4. minimeme thread starter macrumors newbie

Really, what I want to know is how do I get my money back without having to be treated so badly.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

email steve is the best solution, especially if you are having difficulty communicating on the phone. I imagine that Apple has email support for those customers that have difficulty speaking.

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Send a polite and well written email to sjobs@apple.com

Explain the situation clearly and someone will probably get back to you from corporate relations.

7. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Call customer service again. That's the only way you'll get what you want. They can't help you if they don't know what the problem is.

If you can't talk well enough for them to hear/understand you,tell someone the story and have them call Apple while you are in the same room, again they can't fix a problem if they don't know/understand what the issue is.

8. minimeme thread starter macrumors newbie

I told them what the problem is. When I spoke up, they were not having a problem hearing me. I told them my movies freeze and my wheel starts spinning for minutes at a time during which the computer is frozen. Her reply to this was to chastize me for speaking to loudly to her. To which I reminder her she had a choice to see it as I was yelling or I was simply trying to be heard. She chose to hang up.

The last phone call, I didn't yell or even have any deflection in my voice, I simply asked to be put thru to a supervisor and I was put on hold the last 15 minutes of their workday, during which time a girl came on and laughed.

They knew what they were doing.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Once again, email steve, we can't fix the problem. That's really the only secret we know. This is obviously not behavior that we expect from Apple.

10. minimeme thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the address. I will email him. I would rather email a customer service manager, but since they give no option for that I will take what I can.

11. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Tell them that you are very unhappy buying refurbished. Then say that, you showed it to someone at the genius bar and they agreed something was wrong with it (probably the hard drive). Then say, I do not want to have this computer fixed because I'm just so frustrated and don't have time to waste because I thought apple would have better quality control. Then say, If you would please give me a full refund, actually.. just demand a full refund then tell the him/her that you intend to put the money towards a brand new notebook at your local store instead because you don't trust refurbished and don't have time to waste.
    this worked for me when I bought a refurb 17" that had an obvious display issue which should never have made it through quality control. they offered to fix or replace it, but I was like NO! just give me a full refund and I'm going to buy a new one at the store.. so they paid for return shipping and everything.. I was very happy with the customer service. that's my story

12. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Are you willing to go to a store?

Hi! Can you go to a store? How long have you had it? I had the same problem. I bought I refurbished machine but I didn't want to deal with them over the phone. I had the machine for 32 days. I went the store and they said they would swap for the same model immediately. When we found out that the "same" model was just by comparing the processor. In other words I had a high-end previous generation which correspond to the low-end of the new generation.

All odds were against me.

1. It was a refurbished machine.
    2. I did not buy at the store (i bought it online).
    3. I had it for more 32 days.

They are not supposed to deal with any machine in any of those situations when the case is refund/exchange.

After 1 hour in the store the manager gave me the option to return it without charging me any restocking fee.

So, the message is: be patient, be polite, and be firm! They'll help you.

13. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

14. minimeme thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't really get out yet. Still recovering and not feeling good enough to venture into a crowded store. But thanks for the suggestion.

My macbook pro is still having issues. Spinning wheel and freezing are the most common.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

32days?? Not gonna be easy.

Apple offer exchanges or refunds for refurbs too, dealing with them online and over the phone is much muh easier!! But it has to be done inside the cooling off period (first two weeks, 14 days). Not sure what you can do when it's 32days old.

10% restocking fee for something that's not faulty is standard practice throughout the world.

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Not in the UK it aint.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I would try customer service again. maybe have a friend or relative call for you, explain the situation, then had the phone to you.

or lead off with the fact that you are ill and ask them to be patient with you because you have difficulty communicating currently.

the one thing i would not do is rely on emailing SJobs.

so many people around here are so quick to throw that out as a solution when really speaking to a different agent or the agents supervisor is a better solution.

anyway, since so many think it is ok to email the CEO of multi-Billion dollar company over things like faulty superdrives and difficulty with customer service, getting that email answered could take weeks. and by that time your return window could be over and then your out of luck.