Refund on replacement MacBook Pro possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thatquadguy, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Thatquadguy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    after an awful experience (for 2 months) with Apple, they have decided to issue with me a new machine in replacement of my old one which had continuous faults. AppleCare are the people issuing the replacement and it will be a new machine delivered to me in original packaging/sealed.

Could I ring AppleCare after receiving it and request a refund? Will a different rep be able to tell it was a replacement machine?

2. Naimfan, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You can ask . . .

A different rep will be able to see all notes, so they'll know what's happened.

Is this the same Macbook you had in for repair that got dented?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You certainly can call and ask, but the odds are pretty small that a single repair will grant a full refund.

As for the another rep knowing its a replacement, yes they know. They have a record of your replacement. Any repairs/replacements are recorded and can be pulled up by any applecare representative

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Uh, no. I asked about this a while back. It can't be done. If anything happens with the computer, its covered under the warranty and Apple won't accept returns/refunds. If you get a defective machine, the might replace it in the 14-days with a new one, but most likely not.

It pretty generous of Apple to offer a machine replacement. I'm curious, how many repairs did you have done to your MacBook Pro and for what that warranted a replacement? Most of the time Apple will only replace the machine if they determine another repair won't be cost effective.

5. 5to1 macrumors regular

I think they might have issued a refund instead of sending the replacement, if you'd stated you'd lost confidence in their product. You may still be able to use that line now if you don't open the new machine. But by incurring them the cost of sending out another machine, you've made it less likely they'll agree.

You may also want to check what your consumer rights (in your local) state.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would take the sealed replacement into an Apple Store, explain the situation and I think the odds are good that you'd receive a refund.

7. ano0oj macrumors 6502

doubt it, they will only consider your original date of purchase

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

You'd be well outside the refund period on the original machine, and AppleCare did what is covered under the T&C of the plan. Your chances of getting a refund at this stage are slim to none, since they will see that the machine in your possession was an AppleCare replacement already.