Refund/Replacement at apple store when purchased online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jords, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Jords macrumors newbie

I got a family member to purchase my new iphone 5s online and It has a defect on the speakers.

I am wondering, The phone is under 14 days old and i'm booked into the apple store tomorrow, But would they be able to give me a Brand new replacement seen as though it was bought online? Also would they be able to give me a refund in the form of a gift card? Even though it was bought online?

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yes I purchased mine online and was able to replace/exchange in store. Also, there is a 1 year warranty anyways that is attached to your device. After purchase, the phone is covered for 1 year (except from accidental damage)... anything hardware related is covered.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, they've changed the policy and you can now return (or swap out) iPhones purchased online from apple.com to a retail Apple store.

4. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

If you are within the two week window you will receive a brand new packaged phone. After 2 weeks, refurbished units are given

And yes, they are able to process returns in the form as a gift card.

5. Jords thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's good to hear!

Also what do you need with you to be able to have it replaced? The family member who purchased it wont be with me, It will only be me, Making a 1 hour journey then a 1 hour journey back to get to the nearest apple store haha,

A silly question but the defect is sometimes hard to notice (It's to do with sound (Clicking, Buzzing, Popping, Static, All sorts)) Even if they dont hear it as its loud in apple stores, Would I still be able to get a brand new exchange or would they need to hear the defect to be able to replace?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can return it for a full refund for any reason and purchase a new retail box unit, or you can simply swap it out under warranty for a white box replacement unit, which is remanufactured with a brand new case, screen and battery. You won't be able to tell the difference either way.

7. Jords thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I need anything special to return it or just the box, everything in the box and phone?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you're returning for a full refund, everything. Otherwise, just the phone if you're swapping it out under warranty.

9. Jords thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically just everything I have listed, first Apple product and first time with Apple support so we will see how it goes, also what happens with my data? Would they sit and wait with me for my phone to wipe?

Also would my family member who purchased it be notified when the return or exchange happens?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Of course they will.

11. Jords thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have been into the Apple store and was almost assisted straight away, he told me to explain my problem and he said it's a problem he's never heard of before, he said that they can do a exchange which I then asked would it be brand new and sealed though and he said it would be classed as re manufactured and he explained what he ment and I told him why I don't want that and he completely understood, but he continued to explain about how online and in store, they're both Apple but two different company's which makes it hard to exchange for brand new, so I would have to return it online for that, I also said about refunds and refund via gift card and he said again that because it's online they cannot do that,

He was very helpful and understanding but unfortunately I did not walk out with a new phone, I've kept my current one, I will try stick with it and maybe it will sort itself out after a while, who knows? Maybe in the future I will exchange for re-manufactured, the option will be there for another year yet!

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's very strange because they've officially eliminated from the policy the restriction on returning iPhones purchased online to a retail Apple store some time ago, and several members have been successful in returning them that way.

13. newellj macrumors 601

But I think in those cases it was the online purchaser who was returning it in the store, not a gift recipient, which I think is the case here (?). I apologize if I haven't correctly followed the OP's facts.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Very good point. I think that's probably why the OP ran into trouble.