Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stu Jobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi folks

Basically I bought my MBP in Sept 07 from an Apple reseller. For the past month or two, I've had intermittent problems with the display. At times its just simple flashes of dots on screen, at others the colours are inverted or the screen hangs/distorts.

The length of this interference has been up to 30 mins at a time, despite opening/closing the lid and mouse jiggling. I reported this issue to the reseller last month, thankfully this was 10 days before my warranty was set to run out.

The reseller then sent it to an Apple Repair Agent (phrase?) who themselves replaced the MBP's shell. I'm not sure how a new shell would interfere with the graphics card, but my MBP's all shiny again. :D On my invoice (for which I paid nothing) from the Repair Agent, they stated that they had a 90 day warranty on any repairs carried out by them.

I received my MBP back about 3 weeks ago and have had some instances of the interference again. This time I took a video of it as well as some pictures, which will follow (if I can figure out how).

I understand that my original warranty has now since ran out, however the recent tech note from Apple states that they recognise that the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT cards, as used by my MBP are overly faulty and that they will make an "evaluation". of the fault.

Is it likely that I will receive a refund/new model to replace mine?
Should I ask for one?
Should I wait until new MBPs release to pursue either of the above avenues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-----------------------------
Also, this is my 1st, so I apologise in advance if I've been a n00b anywhere in this post.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I'd call/take it to Apple. Sounds like you're experiencing the distorted video issues. They'll likely replace the graphics card, you won't get a new model.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
applecare

you had problems a few days before the warranty ran out i would have purchased and registered apple care at that time. then you would have had 2 year warranty on repairs not 30 or 90 days. you will not get the new model. since it is out of warranty. and only the second video issue. to get a new one has to be in warranty or apple care and have 3 problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.