Refurb 15'' 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by friedkimchi, Jun 11, 2014.

1. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Hi guys, I'm about 95% sure in getting a refurb 15 from the Apple UK store. My cousin is visiting in 2 weeks time so I have like, 1 week to finalise my decision.

I'm currently learning Android development and I'm interested in doing iOS development, hence the need for an Apple laptop. I'm doing a CS degree, so I will be installing Windows via bootcamp(for gaming) and parallels(some MS applications). My hobbies include photography and playing the piano, and I'm already familiar with the photo editing workflow, but am thinking of doing music production as well.

I have a couple of questions before I tell my cousin to place the order. Feel free to answer any of the questions if you have the experience and knowledge.
    Hope you guys bear with me and help me out. :)

1) Is the screen on the 15'' with the 750m prone to the display problems?
    2) How much battery life will I get with XCode/iTunes/Facebook running 50% brightness?
    3) Will XCode run well with the 750m disabled?
    4) Other than games, what applications really benefit from the 750m?
    5) How much space did you allocate for the Windows Bootcamp partition? I usually play 1-2 games and delete them when I'm done/bored. Games like BF4 and similar AAA games.
    6) Win 7 vs 8 vs 8.1? For gaming only.
    7) How do you find music production on the 15''?

I'm familiar with the OS X environment (used a black macbook for 5 years before the screen cracked:(). I will also get applecare. So I will be keeping it for at least 3 years. I do not have an external monitor at the moment.
    It's expensive buying apple products where I live, so its much more economical for me to buy it overseas.:p

My current laptop is good for my current needs but its no :apple:.
    ASUS specs:
    ASUS N53SV
    Win 7 Home 64 bit
    i7-2630QM @ 2GHz
    8GB DDR3 (2 more RAM slots free)
    Intel HD 3000
    NVIDIA GT 540M 2047MB
    700GB HDD
    3kg :rolleyes:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. Not that I know of....
    2. 6.5 to 7.5 hours when new...
    3. Yes.
    4. Video Editing, Graphical Design Work
    5. For games, I would do an 80 GB Boot Camp partition.
    6. Your Choice, 8.1 is faster...
    7. Very good.