Refurb 15" early 2013 650m or new 15" late 2013 iris pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by briand05, Oct 24, 2013.

1. briand05 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a new computer purchase. This will be my first 15 inch MBP, I've only had 13" ones before. I actually already have ordered the $1659 refurb early 2013 Ivy Bridge model, but now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should go with the new haswell base. I'm looking for a machine that is capable of some gaming but I'm not a heavy gamer. I will also do some video editing and maybe some basic music production in Garage band. I am a student and can get the has well base for 1899, it ends up about 250 more than the refurb I've ordered already. What I'm wondering is how good Iris Pro really is compared to the 650m, if its about the same but has noticeably better battery life then I'm thinking I may exchange for the new model. Also is the faster storage noticeable at all?

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

IMO, I would choose the Haswell Macbook with Iris Pro. It will serve you just fine for most casual gaming, and in day to day use, provides a much smoother UI experience than the HD4000 does. The battery life is probably more worth it to you as well, as a student. Don't underestimate the Iris Pro, it really is a nice iGPU.

Just my 2cents.

3. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I'd say get whats cheaper. The difference for everyday things are probably not noticeable.

4. DeGarmo macrumors newbie

DeGarmo

i have exactly the same dilemma
    I sold my early 2011 15' with the poor 6490m and i'm about to buy a rmbp
    My most gpu intensive usage will be playing x-plane 10,but all i want is to play it lag free,doesn't matter if its on mid settings
    Other than that,i'll use the mac for everyday things internet,mail etc and for garageband

From what i'm reading iris pro its a good gpu despite being integrated but it gives the impression of a 'cheap' laptop to not have a dGpu,especially for the money it costs

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I think most of us have a mental block when it comes to an iGPU. I know it's not a good comparison but the HD 5000 on my MBA is kickass! The Iris Pro [ HD 5200 iirc ] is sure to be better, much better, than the HD 4000 [ 2012 - Early 2013 models with Ivy Bridge ]

For gaming, I either use Windows or PS3.. Never considered the Mac for gaming.

Having said that, you got a good deal on the Ivy Bridge rMBP and I would keep it. I, impulsively :eek:, bought the Haswell 15" and it's no better [ for my needs which includes some coding, running 3 VMs [ Linux, Windows, SQL ], using GarageBand and iMovie [ occasionally ] and PhotoShop for image editing.

Browsing, FB'ing, Tweeting, FaceTime, email etc are a given..

I've been running 10.9 [ Mavericks ] since DP 1 and it's been leaps and bounds better than 10.8 [ Mountain Lion ]. Ever since I updated to 10.8.5, I have experienced ZERO lag and having lucked out with a Samsung screen, IR was never an issue.

If it were up to me, I'd keep the Ivy and consider Broadwell or newer when it's time to replace. The $250 you're saving could go towards AppleCare [ buy from B&H Photo for a great discount ] and/or external drives [ USB, NAS, Optical ] and be put to much better use...

Just my .02 as always :)