refurb 15'' MBP vs refurb 13'' MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by islanders, Jun 23, 2011.

1. islanders macrumors 6502

What would be your choice

2010 15'' i5 MBP with Hi Res AG for $1,399

or

2010 13'' MBA with 4 GB RAM for $1,189

I'm leaning towards the 15'' Hi Res AG for a larger screen and I could make some minor upgrades myself. The MBP also can upgrade to 8 GB RAM.

Both should handle what I need done so long as they can manage the OS upgrades.

The MBP also has FW 800 so I can pick up a external HD that won't be so expensive.

The MBA is more portable but the MBP has a larger screen as it will be my primary computer.

Am I missing something?

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The MBP has a optical drive(if you care). The air also doesn't have an Ethernet port, which is a deal breaker IMO.

3. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

optical

I have a new external Lacie dvd burner so the lack of optical drive isn't a big deal. Good point about the lack of ethernet port. I'm usually on wireless N but might need to plug directly in sometimes.

I guess my main concern is which one would be functional longer, have the best screen, and cost the least to maintain. I'm thinking the MBP will be easier to upgrade the battery, RAM, HDD in 2-3 years.

Edit: my concern about the MBP is excessive heat or fan noise. I'll send it back if the fans are too loud or uncomfortable to use on a day to day basis.

4. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

I just placed an order today for a 2011 HR AG refurb MBP. Fingers crossed for it being flawless.

I pondered waiting for new MBA's but I wanted this thing for months so figured why keep waiting. I would just make the choice based on what you use it for. If I were getting an MBA I would probably choose the 11 (despite the fact I preferred the 13 when checking them out.)

MBA is going to be ultra portable, if you're travelling with it or bringing it to work or school routinely then I would choose MBA. If you're primary use is around the house then I think MBP is the better choice. Expandable, more capacity, bigger screen. That said I do think the 2011's are a substantial upgrade so if it's 2010's (unless you plan on going SSD in the Pro) I would choose the Air.

5. badtzwang macrumors regular

Where did you find one for $1,399? Ebay? The ones in the Refurb store on Apple.com are much more expensive than that.

6. TwoLabsMedia macrumors newbie

What are you planning on doing with it long-term? That's what really matters. They'll both surf the internet, word process, play iTunes, etc. I'd go for a MacBook Air if I didn't have to edit HD video every day.

7. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I'm usually just surf the web, work process, but have been taking more pictures and using video more. It's possible HD video will become the norm for me too. So the 2010 MBP should be able to handle that right? I'm thinking both could.

I will use it around the house, and when I take it somewhere I use a backpack. The MBA is so light that you could just use a shoulder bag but I'm ok with the backpack. I also ride my bike a lot when I take it with me so the backpack is more practical.

I was leaning for the MBA but the MBP with the Hi Res was only 1399 on the Apple Store for the refurb. They crop up about every week for the last two weeks.

What I'm looking for is an excellent screen. No excessive noise or heat. And will keep up for many years.

8. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

I would buy the 15, I bought the same one a couple weeks ago.

9. truciet macrumors 6502

for specs, i would IMO go for the 15".

i can't buy a MBA with a really old intel cpu :mad: