Refurb. 15" or New 13" pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandon8u, Nov 7, 2009.

1. brandon8u macrumors member

15" from apple.com for ($1,200)
    previous gen. no sd card reader

or

new mbp 13" 2.26GHz @ $1099.99(edu. discount)

witch would you buy?
    can someone also tell me what are the diffrences from the prev. gen for the new, beside the sd card and new processors, and 8GB Max ram.

Sorry, english is my second language

2. Av1o3 macrumors member

The battery on the new umbps last a lot longer than last gens

3. segers909 macrumors regular

The refurb one may not have an sd card slot but it does have an expresscard reader where you can put an sd card reader in :) Or an extra usb port, like me. I would go for the refurb one.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Having no SD card reader isn't a bad thing because you'll have an ExpressCard slot instead. They're a whole lot more flexible for instance you can put in a mobile data-card for accessing 3g networks instead of using insecure hotspots, insert a multi-card reader, CF card reader, an eSATA card for external drives, additional FW800 card and SSD storage cards (they're no way as fast as SSD HD's) but way cheaper!

5. brandon8u thread starter macrumors member

oops. the refurbished one is $1,299. still, is it worth $200.This is the model before the latest WWDC (june 2009) it also has desecrate graphics. and 2.4GHz core2duo. max 4GB ram (I think DDR2)

can some of you guy tell me the experience you had with a refurb. machine? Like how long the machine lasted, etc.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Better processor, better graphics.... an I missing anything here. Obviously the 15" is the better buy. Need better battery life? Get a second battery and toss it in a bag. Now you'll have the same or better battery life.

7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

If you are considering a refurb, the 13" MBP, last generation is $899, no SD, no backlit keyboard. The current 13" MBP is $999 for a refurb. Refurb is cheaper then the educational discount.

8. kolax macrumors G3

You mean MacBook, not MacBook Pro?

9. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Get the refurb. Even if you want the 13 in, I would still got for the refurb. Apple refurbs are great quality wise!

10. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Is that the late '08 unibody MBP right? If it is, then it has both the discrete and the high performance graphic card. And also the RAM is a faster DDR3, not DDR2.

I'd go with the 15" refurb. The expresscard really helps me a lot. Battery life and the SD card is not an issue for me though.