refurb 17" c2d OR the new one with i5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAC88, Apr 23, 2010.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

okay.. so I've finally made up my mind.. and I'm going all out for the 17" MBP w/ antiglare. but now I"m not sure if I should go with a refurb for $1739 or the new one (base model).. which would you choose, keep in mind that I'm not upgrading to i7 if I get the new one.

specs of the refurb 17" include:

$1739
    antiglare
    2.66ghz c2d
    4gb ram
    320gb hdd
    9600gt 512mb

or the new 17" with i5/AG.. which is $2150 with my edu discount.

is it worth $500 more for the new one? I'm leaning towards the previous model because it seems plenty fast for my needs (coming from a G4 here). And I actually don't like the new automatic gpu switching because it seems like it needs some tweaking from what I've read. But are there any improvements to the new one that I"m overlooking.. for example is the display better?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The processor is faster and the GPU is faster. I know of no screen difference. Unless you know you need the CPU or GPU power of the new one, you're fine with the current one.

The issues with the GPU switching will certainly be worked out via firmware updates though.

3. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

okay well now I"m leaning more towards the new one since I don't feel like dealing with refurb again (had a semi rough experience in the past) and waiting for shipping! Like you said $500 isn't that much since I"m getting better cpu/gpu and larger hdd. plus I can go to the store right now and buy it :D

Not that it's bad right now or anything but I feel confident that improvements to the gpu switching will be made. I think I just made up my mind.. thanks

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not the expected reaction :confused:

I was simply asking you if you used programs that would warrant the CPU or GPU. HDD is pretty trivial since those are cheap and user upgradeable. What's wrong with dealing with a refurb? you get same 1 year warranty.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

6. man02195 macrumors regular

new one,
    because: more room to grow with it as program updates take advantage of new GPU, video switching, multi threads.

7. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid to go refurb because about year ago I ordered a 17" one and it had problems with the screen which they would have fixed but I just didn't want to deal with it. And now I'm so impatient that I can't really wait much longer. I'm thinking either the 15" with high res AG or 17" AG.. I really want express card but I can probably get by without.. I'm about to go the store and check them out, hopefully leaving with one.. I have doubts about the 15" AG being in stock if that's the one I want..