Refurb 2.4ghz iMac vs. New 2.4ghz iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nidserz, May 9, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi all.

I was seriously considering picking up a macbook for a while now, but since I have a PC laptop I figured I would consider an iMac.

I am looking at the bottom of the line, new 20" 2.4ghz iMac
    but found a Refurbed iMac 20" with better specs... This is where im confused :confused:

New -- 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Refurb -- 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    New -- 250GB HD; Refurb -- 320GB HD
    New -- 1GB ram; Refurb -- 1GB ram
    New -- ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory; Refurb -- ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Am I missing something? I really prefer to get new items even though I have heard a lot of great things about Apple Refurb products.

Any advantages of getting the new iMacs?

Thanks for your input.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

New iMacs also use 800MHz RAM. Have a 1066MHz FSB. Penryn CPUs.

3. n1ght macrumors member

Ditto. The new iMacs have faster RAM and Penryn processors (1066MHz FSB, SSE4 instruction set).

If you need the better graphics card for gaming, the old one would be better. For pure CPU power, the new iMacs are better.

4. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Thanks for the input! I'm not a gamer so looks like ill go for the new iMac which is faster. Hope to upgrade the RAM. Ill be using it for the basics, word processing, msn, web browsing, light photoshop, and downloading via torrents and itunes. I may also install vista and use bootcamp. I have a PC laptop which I will take to class and plan to update it when the big N hits the market.

Does the student ipod promo work for iMacs or just portables?

Thanks and sorry for rambling.

5. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Me personally, if I wasnt a gamer(Thank God thats never gonna happen :) ) I would go with the older model. You get more hd space, and a better graphics card. I doubt you would notice any performance gains by the newer processor in what your doing. Nothing that a little ram upgrade could cure.

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

RAM upgrade

Upgrading your RAM is generally a good way to improve your computer's performance without spending too much more money. Just don't get it from Apple.

7. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Thanks again for the replies! I've decided on the newer model just based on having an updated machine which will help with value in the future.

I don't even fill up 100GB HD so the 250GB should be more than enough for me. I will max out RAM at 4GB eventually (from crucial I take it).

Now waiting till june to see what's announced (macbook updates?) and perhaps use the ipod deal. If I get impatient I might pull the trigger as I don't need an ipod!

Thanks again and let me know if there is something else I need to know before I make my purchase within the next few weeks! I am in no rush :)

Thanks again for listening to my ramblings!

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I'd get the older one. I think you're getting more for your money.

And really if you're getting the $1200 new iMac I would save $250 and get the $950 refurb which is the same except for the cpu. I don't think the cpu upgrade is worth $250.

10. Jimmery macrumors member

Ditto. You pay about 20% more over the refurb for a slight CPU performance increase (only noticeable if doing lots of CPU-intensive tasks), while taking a hit on HD space and graphics. The low-end graphics card is pitiful for a computer of this price.

11. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks for the info ^^.

I have now upped my budget and am considering the:

20-inch: 2.66GHz
    * 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory
    * 320GB hard drive1
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I would use the student discount and possibly make use of iPod promotion (I would go on to sell the iPod).

EDIT: I think I've read this before, but if I installed my own RAM (crucial), would Apple still cover any problems under warranty? Or once 3rd party RAM installed Apple doesn't care. Thanks!

What do you guys think? Again thanks for being so helpful with my first mac purchase!