Refurb. 2.93 8c Nehalem or 2.4 8c Westmere?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bucko, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Bucko macrumors member

Hi,

I am having trouble deciding between these two models. Might get the 3.33 Ghz 6c Westmere but leaning towards the 8c models. Why is the 2009 Nehalem faster? The guy at the Apple store was suprised by that also. Are there any changes in the 2010 2.4 8c Westmere from the 2009 Nehalem model?

I will be using it for intensive music software (Prottools, Digital Performer, East West, Symphobia, Vienna Symp Inst. All web and graphics software (Photoshop, Flash, InDesign, etc and Astronomy programs) Thanks

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The 2.93GHz Nehalem is a much faster machine. The 2010 Mac Pros are all just like the 2009 models except for a firmware update, new video card, and Westmere. Everything else is pretty much exactly the same.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2010 model comes with ATI 5770 instead of Nvidia GT 120 and it supports B1 stepping (6-core CPUs). Unless you plan to upgrade the CPUs to dual 6-cores in the future, just get the refurb since it's a lot better deal. You can add 5770 or 5870 to the 2009 MP if needed.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

A guy is running a deal for $900 a chip on eBay for the W5590 to upgrade the 2.93GHz dual 2009 to a 3.33GHz dual. Take in mind these are the 4-core Nehalem chips, not the Westmeres. Also, the chips have the IHS so you must be careful in upgrading them (Apple uses the lidless processors on their machines)

5. gretschRB macrumors newbie

I decided to play it safe and got the refurb 2009 2.93 octo..for Pro tools HD/logic,etc.
    from what i've heard it just works and I'm sure it will be a screaming computer for my music apps.[coming from G5 dual 2.7]
    $3650.00 didn't hurt too much.

6. Ravich macrumors 6502a

22% increase in performance for 150$ extra? Sounds good to me. That's what I went with.

7. Bucko thread starter macrumors member

I assuming you got the refurb.? Thanks for the input everyone. If any more, keep them coming. Now, do you know where a good and reliable place to get a 2.93 8c Nehalem?

8. gretschRB macrumors newbie

The Mac store refurb section.
    although when they do show up,they're usually gone in minutes.

9. gabicava83 macrumors regular

Sorry, which one did you go for?

Thanks,

G.

10. treoguy macrumors member

This has been a helpful thread. I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8c 2.8. It's a great machine, but thought a move to the i7 iMac was a good move. My eyes had serious issues with the display, so moved back into my comfort zone, the Mac Pro and 30" ACD.

Started shopping new Mac Pro machines and it seems there is some real value in the refurbs. I like the idea of getting back into a warrantied machine, along with the obvious upgrades in the 2009 Mac Pro over my machine. High resale value of my 2008 also played a factor. Once the 2009's leave the refurb store, I suspect there won't be tremendous value initially on the 2010 models.

Saw the dual 2.93 pop up today and placed my order. When you consider this retailed for almost $6k, there is some serious savings. RAM and video card options (5780, 5770) will also provide even more room to boost power from this beast. Right now, it's probably more computer than I need. At the price I paid, I think it'll do a good job retaining value, especially given the pricing of the 2010 series. Not to mention, I suspect it'll be fast and a solid computer for a number of years.

Thoughts?

11. gabicava83 macrumors regular

I have a 30" ACD and a MBP, was going to sell them to get a iMac, as it is substantionally cheaper than a Mac Pro.

Now, I am thinking of a Mac Pro, trying to decide between the 2009 /2010. Prices are rather high.

I would love to get a dual 2.93, however, hard to come by. Ideally, I would like a refurb from Apple but unlikely.

So hard trying to choose.

Anyhow, Mac Pro is the beast if financially possible.

12. treoguy macrumors member

I was in your exact position. I ordered the iMac and returned it. I opted for the Dual 2.93. Very happy I did. Keep your eye on refurbme.com. You can set up alerts and you have to act quickly. There was one available this morning, not sure if it's still there.

Good luck!