Refurb 20" Aluminum iMac vs 20"/24" White iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brarian, May 26, 2008.

1. brarian macrumors newbie

My poor 14" ibook G4 has served me well, but been eclipsed by the new tech (no Bluetooth, no SuperDrive, 1 wonky USB port, and, of course, NO INTEL.). I bought it with scholarship money, but I've graduated now, and I have to spend my money, so refurb it is.

I am torn between the refurb aluminum iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the refurb white iMac 20 or 24-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive. Are the performance differences appreciable? Which should I choose?

About my usage: I tend to stick with a computer 3-4 years and hope not to get completely screwed performance-wise at the tail end of that period (as I did the last time, though nothing as big as the Intel switch is likely to happen -- I hope). I do a LOT of surfing, including streaming TV, some photo work (iPhoto or Photoshop Elements) and potentially a small bit of future video work. I'll also probably install Windows. I would also like to be able to play a few games (Spore looks like it will be fun), though my Wii is my primary gaming unit. Thanks!

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I prefer matte screens so the white iMac seems nice. Also, the display quality on the 20" white iMac >>> than the display quality on the 20" alu iMac. The white iMac uses a superior S-IPS panel while the alu. iMac uses a TN panel. There have been widespread complaints about the 20" display on the alu iMac.

If you really prefer matte screens, then get the white iMac. But on the same token, it makes sense to buy the newer and more up to date model. We have a white 24" iMac and an alu 24" iMac and besides the aluminum and the glossy display, I can't tell the difference between the 2 computers during use. Both have 2 gb ram.

They're both good choices and you will be happy with either.

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i have a white 20" 2.16C2D an after my RAM arrives next week I'm sure it will be all the computer I need for the next few years. The 1GB is relatively slow, especially compared to downgrading form a 17" MBP with 2GB. I bought the white because of the screen finish. I personally don't care about the alu/glass look that the new 20" has, the white one is matte so it was the one for me.

BTW, I have XP installed via Parallels and it works just fine for spider solitare and access.

4. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

imo i like the white imacs than the new imacs idk why id go with the white imacs then later on buy a refurb macbook

5. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

I just looked at the Apple refurb page, that seems like an -ok- deal but you might be able to get a better deal on eBay

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

You can get one, a safe one at that, from Apple's refurb store for 950, but the benefit is you can purchase Apple Care for it. I purchased my unit 2nd hand via eBay for 850 shipped, but no apple care. I believe my super drive may be failing too, but not that big of an issue because I have my MB's that i can utilize via firewire if need be.

7. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I i owned a 24" white iMac. While it was an amazing computer at first, the superdrive took out 3 times, and the screen got horrible screen burn in (some here said that was impossible, but I had icons burnt into the screen). Plus the cheap plastic older style keyboard went bad.

Apple Care replaced it with a 24" Aluminum iMac and I couldn't be happier!