Refurb 20inch imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chucksta, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Chucksta macrumors member

Is it worth getting the following imac for AU$ 1099 from the Apple website? It is a refurbished Mac.

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    20-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

How do you know if it comes with Snow Leopard?

Do you need to get Apple Care with refurb units? Or is the 1 year warranty sufficient?

thanks

Chucksta

2. EliteF50 macrumors regular

Well, if I were you I'd put another $200/300 on it and get a brand new 21.5" iMac. But if you can't, the refurb is a good machine.

3. Chucksta thread starter macrumors member

In Australia the 21.5 inch imac retails for AU$1599.

Maybe a refurb 24 inch imac (AU$1449) is a better deal than the new 21.5 inch imac:

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    24-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    640GB hard drive
    Built-in iSight camera

The refurb unit is $150 less and it has a bigger screen (24 inch vs 21.5 inch), more HDD (640gb vs 500gb), and tried and tested technology (no issues with yellow tinge, flickering, etc).

Meant to be a xmas gift, and the user will only be doing word processing, internet surfing and emails. I'll also put on Windows XP with Boot Camp. I have a 27 inch i5 on order for myself :)

Are refurb units more likely to break down in the future than new imacs?

4. EliteF50 macrumors regular

Well, I think the 24" is a better choice than the 20" you posted. But I'm sure he'll/she'll love whichever iMac you choose to purchase. :)

5. Chucksta thread starter macrumors member

I know that refurb imacs come in a brown box and not the white fancy imac box.

Do the refurb boxes have REFURBISHED stamped on them? Might look a bit lame if its a gift.

6. EliteF50 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the box is plain white, not brown. And no, it doesn't have a big stamp saying "Refurbished."

Hell, I'd love to get an iMac for Christmas, refurb or used. :p

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Why do so many US commercials feature Australians in them? There's something about that accent that sells products.

8. Patmn macrumors member

I'm 99% sure that any of the refurbs sold by Apple right now are running Snow Leopard.

9. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

No, probably less likely in fact, as they've been double checked post-purchase and therefore have passed two quality control tests vs. only one with a new unit ;)

10. Chucksta thread starter macrumors member

Just received the refurb 24 inch imac (AU$1449). It was sent overnight first class from Sydney. Now that's service. So instead of 3-5 business days it got here the next day! Thank you Apple!

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    24-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    640GB hard drive
    Built-in iSight camera

The OS is 10.5.6 and I am updating it using the included dvds to Snow Leopard. Looks like I have to install iLife09 as well. No big deal considering the savings.

No luck getting a better spec refurb than what was ordered. It was however packaged in a plain white box. Not the brown box stamped refurb.

The screen is huge! 24 inch is plenty. I would seriously question if the 21.5 base is worth it, given that the 24 inch is cheaper as a refurb.