refurb 24" ACD delivered - dust or dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

So my refurb 24" ACD was delivered about an hour ago. I set the desktop to all white and hid the dock to check it out for defects. Well, lo and behold I found one. It's pretty annoying and I'll be returning the display. I guess I'll try for another refurb and if that is defective I don't know what I'm going to do. Here's a picture I took of it with my iPhone. Is there anything I can do about this? It doesn't appear to be lit up. It almost looks like dust or dirt or something.

Attached Files:

2. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

On a side note, how many times will Apple let me continue to return refurb units until I find that "perfect" one? Can I do this an unlimited number of times as long as I return them within the 14-day window?

3. sab150 macrumors regular

dude if thats the only defect i wouldnt bother.. i have had 3 or 4 cinema displays and id be pleased if that was the only defect on mine!

by all means send it back but u will be playing this game for a while.. especially with refurbs as apple wont class that dust as an issue worth replacing a whole screen for..

4. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

besides this, has the refurb 24" ACD's been decent as far as blemishes and defects? $599 is a tempting price but this scares me...

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

About how many pixels would you say are not working? That is pretty annoying seeing as a refurbished product is supposed to be inspected and looked at before being sold again. I'd expect them to catch something like that pretty easily.

6. foodle macrumors 6502

It just looks like dust on the other side of the glass. The guys at the Apple store can fix that in about 5 minutes (remove glass with suction cups, use vaccuum or sticky roller to remove dust, replace glass).

My refurb ACD is perfect BTW :)

7. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

The Apple Store can fix dust under the glass? I thought this was something that required a clean room or something. I'm returning this display and have a 2nd ACD refurb on the way. If this one is bad I might just pony up the dough for a retail ACD but I really don't want to.

8. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

That looks like dust to me. I have a similar problem with my 30" cinema display. I was changing a fixture in the ceiling and some dust fell on my monitor and when I used a bit of air to get the dust off it ended up blowing two particles in between the screen and the backlight. I've thought about calling Apple care, but I highly doubt they'd do anything for me. Also, like another poster said, chances are you might get a refurbished unit that's even worse.

Still, I know it's annoying. I've thought about calling Apple care numerous times over my issue. These screens should be sealed better.

9. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I called my Apple store and they said that was not a repair that they could do in-house. It's something they ship the units off for. I initiated a return for this unit and ordered a 2nd refurb ACD. If the 2nd refurb ACD is bad I'll probably shell out for a retail ACD. It really is a beautiful display.

10. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

A warning; from what I heard, even full price, non-refurbished ACDs aren't a dead cert when it comes to quality.

11. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

But you can still return for a full refund with no reason within 14 days, correct?