Refurb 24" ACD - Stuck/Dead Pixels Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JulesK, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I just received my 24" ACD from the refurb store, and it is a beautiful monitor and works perfectly with my MBA 11 i7 (no flickering problems so far, despite the reported issues with the Thunderbolt port and MDP monitors). I really wanted this size, and not the 27" Thunderbolt display, because this is quite big enough already, and paying $1000 for a monitor is hard to swallow.

There are about 5 anomalies on the screen - 3-4 pieces of dust/dead pixels (which don't really concern me because they are hard to notice/edge of screen), and one stuck (sub)pixel, bright red, that is near the center of screen, which is noticeable, but is so small it really only matters if you stare at it.

As much as I would have loved a perfect screen, I'm willing to live with this if this is pretty much what one can expect from the refurb store at this point for this display, as it has been out of production for a while. I've read the other threads about dead pixels, but at this point you can't even be sure to get a different refurb because the 24" ACDs are only occasionally listed (and I wonder how many of them are there for the second or third time). Getting the new Thunderbolt display won't guarantee a perfect display, and I really don't have the time going back and forth to the local Apple store to argue over replacements.

Any thoughts from others who have recently purchased the 24" ACD from the refurb store? Should I just live with this?

Many thanks.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Only you can decide whether to live with it or not, but call Apple and explain the situation as they may have other options to ensure you're satisfied.