Refurb 24in IMac VS. New 27in IMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hellaphants, Feb 17, 2010.

1. hellaphants macrumors newbie

Im looking at a Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo VS. the entry level 27in IMac. Is there a significant difference between the two other than the screen size? I do like how the refurb is about 400 dollars less. Keep in mind I'm going to be using it for graphic design.

2. thankins macrumors 6502

Normally I am nothing more than a lurker on these forums but thought I would jump in and make a quick post here.

I just recently set a Mac network for a client, we purchased 2 24inch refrubs (the same you refereed too), a 21.5 inch iMac and the base 27 inch iMac.

As far as performance I didn't see a huge difference, except the fact that the new iMacs can handle up to 16 GBs of RAM.

The one area I noticed the most and had many people I work with comment on was the color difference between the two. The 24 inch iMacs looked washed out when put next to the new LED 21.5/27 iMacs. Alone they looked great but when compared to the new ones it was amazing to see the difference. If you are going to be doing design work then I would want something that would show the colors as true as they could, which in my mind would be the new ones.

3. hellaphants thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks man. I dont know if it's worth the extra $500. Still im leaning towards the 27in.

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Base 27' is in the refurb store now $1449.

98 available as of 7:48 EST.

5. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I have a 24" iMac, and I saw a huge difference in the clarity of the two screens. The 27" has much better depth of color, noticeable instantly.

6. hellaphants thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW thanks ma I just saw that. I think I'm gonna buy it tonight!!! So the next thing is it ok to buy a refurb,haha?

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Sure refurbs are fine.

What state are you in?

8. SonicYouts macrumors newbie

Much like Thankins, I'm usually a lurker too. :)

Most of my macs have been refurbs, including my Time Capsule. So far so good! My current 2.8GHz 24" iMac is refurb - other than the screen, I don't see any short term benefit for the 27" - unless you were going to use it to watch movies across the room or do super processor intensive work. My 24" FLIES editing ProRes HD in final cut. I use an external monitor to grade my colour. Upgraded my RAM aftermarket. I work on an 8 core PowerMac at my day job and find the 24" is more than enough for homework. I still love it.

As a side note, the camera on my iMac was DOA. They replaced it without question and offered a higher model if the same model were no longer available in the refurb store. Unfortunately they still had some...

Either way I think you'll be very happy with a refurb iMac.

9. hellaphants thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in California. Thanks alot guys for all your help!!!

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

It really depends on you. It's just 3 inches in difference...I say, if you want a 27"...get the one with i7 :D

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

But the refurb's been through _two_ "quality control" checks, rather than just one. You're far more likely to be rolling the dice for initial issues when you go new vs. refurb.

13. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

did I gather that there's no sales tax on purchases from macconnection?

14. macflurry macrumors member

Quality control checks are loaded. I got my refurb macbook a couple of years ago and it had a bad superdrive. Get the new one, you'll get a nice shiny box and you'll have the same warranty that a refurb comes with in case something goes awry.

15. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"did I gather that there's no sales tax on purchases from macconnection?"

THAT DEPENDS upon which state you're in.

Best to visit their website and check carefully.

They DO charge sales tax when shipping to _some_ states.

Be forewarned.