Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

ivbaseball06

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi all,

I bought the top of the line refurbished iMac in early December. It is a great computer and I prefer it to the new ones. However, today a dead pixel popped up. It's bright green and dead center in the screen.

I'm still within the holiday return period, so I could theoretically return it for a refund. However, I don't really want to. Here's some questions:

1. Do you think Apple would replace the LCD rather than me having to swap it for another refurb? The reason I ask is because mine shipped with better specs than was advertised, so I wouldn't want to get another refurb with lesser specs.

2. I have a time capsule and always back up with time machine. How much frustration is it going to be to restore my current iMac to a new one if need be? Is it similar to the iPhone iCloud thing where pretty much EVERYTHING goes back the way it was? Or am I still going to have to reinstall things?

Any help is appreciated!

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
If you bought it from apple it's under warranty they give u a 1 year warranty so u can they will fix it

Comment

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Thought the dead pixel policy was around 7 dead pixels to warrant a repair. Although I may be wrong.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
When I had an issue with my refurb, screen would periodically go out, they suggested I return it and order another one rather than try to fix it. Which I thought was odd since it was probably just a loose cable. But that might have just been the preference of the Apple Store that I went to.

Comment

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Thought the dead pixel policy was around 7 dead pixels to warrant a repair. Although I may be wrong.

Wow, I wouldn't have an iMac with 7 dead pixels, even if I got it for free. Even one dead pixel is my biggest worry when getting the new iMac...

Comment

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010

Pixels are pretty tiny. If it's very noticeable, it may well be more than one pixel. I've seen them cluster together before.

Comment

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Pixels are pretty tiny. If it's very noticeable, it may well be more than one pixel. I've seen them cluster together before.

I've got one dead pixel, but luckily it's on the very right side about 2cm from the edge of the screen so I never notice it. And even when I look for it, I can hardly see it (and I have perfect vision!).

My opinion would be if it annoys you, then trying doesn't hurt.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.