Refurb 27" - Dead Pixel - Need advice!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ivbaseball06, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ivbaseball06 macrumors member

Hi all,

I bought the top of the line refurbished iMac in early December. It is a great computer and I prefer it to the new ones. However, today a dead pixel popped up. It's bright green and dead center in the screen.

I'm still within the holiday return period, so I could theoretically return it for a refund. However, I don't really want to. Here's some questions:

1. Do you think Apple would replace the LCD rather than me having to swap it for another refurb? The reason I ask is because mine shipped with better specs than was advertised, so I wouldn't want to get another refurb with lesser specs.

2. I have a time capsule and always back up with time machine. How much frustration is it going to be to restore my current iMac to a new one if need be? Is it similar to the iPhone iCloud thing where pretty much EVERYTHING goes back the way it was? Or am I still going to have to reinstall things?

Any help is appreciated!

2. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

1. Call them and ask them?

2. Migration Assistant, no big deal.

3. sounddesigner macrumors regular

If you bought it from apple it's under warranty they give u a 1 year warranty so u can they will fix it

4. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

Thought the dead pixel policy was around 7 dead pixels to warrant a repair. Although I may be wrong.

5. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

When I had an issue with my refurb, screen would periodically go out, they suggested I return it and order another one rather than try to fix it. Which I thought was odd since it was probably just a loose cable. But that might have just been the preference of the Apple Store that I went to.

6. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Wow, I wouldn't have an iMac with 7 dead pixels, even if I got it for free. Even one dead pixel is my biggest worry when getting the new iMac...

7. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Pixels are pretty tiny. If it's very noticeable, it may well be more than one pixel. I've seen them cluster together before.

8. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

I've got one dead pixel, but luckily it's on the very right side about 2cm from the edge of the screen so I never notice it. And even when I look for it, I can hardly see it (and I have perfect vision!).

My opinion would be if it annoys you, then trying doesn't hurt.